As we get older we can often stop doing the things that matter to us and the activities we enjoy. Our Wellbeing & Engagement Team is here to support older people, their relatives and carers to access the services and support that is right for the individual, whether it be getting out in the community or help around the home.
We can support people to do the things that really matter; whether that be doing the grocery shopping, going for a walk, joining in an activity club or learning a new skill, we can work with individuals to provide the level of support needed to achieve their goals.
Age UK Bradford District recognises that we are all unique and a one size fits all approach doesn't work. This is why we work with our trained volunteers to provide a person centred service for the people we support, whether that be on an individual or a group basis.
We can help you......
- To support people to live independent and fulfilling lives within their local communities
- To ensure people are not excluded from services and activities, that they are able to remain active and involved in their communities
- To combat social isolation and loneliness
- To empower people to develop their own solutions and responses to meet their identified needs and wishes
- To support people to identify their own personal strengths, capabilites and talents so that they can recognise the important contribution they make to their peers and the wider community
- To develop and encourage community based formal and informal support networks
- To work with our member groups and other voluntary, community and statutory services
- To link older people with local volunteers to build networks of support and activity
Our team of wellbeing staff and volunteer wellbeing buddies want to support people to access the right support for them. For some individuals this may be 1:1 pairing with a volunteer to build confidence and access services in the communities, for others it will be accessing local interest groups or building social connections.
We also work with people in their own home through pairing with a volunteer. To access this service you must:
- Be over 65
- Live alone
- Have mobility or other health problems that mean you are unable to go out without support
We recognise that sometimes people may want to be more involved in their local communities but don’t know where to go or how to do this. If you would like some support in identifying what social activity you would like to get involved with please get in touch and we will help make this happen.
We no longer offer a specific befriending service, for details of organisations who offer befriending see here.
Our wellbeing team also run a number of groups across the district including:
- Sunshine Group (reminisce sessions)
- Get Active Feel Great (fun gentle exercise classes)
- Lunch clubs (hosted by local, pubs, leisure centres, cafes etc)
- Veterans Wetherspoons breakfast club
- Coffee and chat mornings
- Keighley Community Café
- Mary Seacole Court day service
- I.T / digital support (Worth Connecting 2 project)
Please find details of our groups here.
You can contact our Wellbeing & Engagement Team in a number of ways:
By phone: 01274 391190, 9.30am to 3.00pm
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org