Info & Advice
The Information and Advice service is the first point of contact for older people, their relatives and carers for requesting information and assistance on a wide range of queries. A general information and advice, with a specialist focus on people aged 50+.
What a Volunteer does:
- Providing a friendly welcome to members of the public contacting the service.
- Committing to keeping well informed through the information resources and to assist in keeping the resources up to date for the team.
- Responding to more straightforward queries through using office resources including Age UK publications or other available information sources and leaflets; and researching information available on appropriate internet sites.
- Listening to queries and following through as necessary to help clients understand the options available to them – this could include letter writing, telephone calls, arranging appointments, etc.
- Assisting clients to fill-in forms for areas such as benefits.
- Assisting with operating the telephone system and using established procedures for dealing with callers, recording messages and transferring calls.
- Signposting to other services and agencies, or sometimes, with their permission, referring them directly.
- Completing necessary office procedures, including keeping and updating paper and computer records of enquiries, and other recording and admin processes as required.
For a full role description see the document below: