EDUCATE (Early Dementia Users’ Co-operative Aiming to Educate) is an award winning group of people with dementia. EDUCATE gives people with dementia a voice. Through involvement in awareness raising, training and consultation, members share their experience of living with dementia, both to oppose the stigma surrounding the condition and to promote the idea of living well with dementia
In order to share their expertise, EDUCATE members need support with the practical arrangements involved in getting to events and managing their speaking engagements.
What an EDUCATE Buddy does:
- Buddies accompany EDUCATE members to events, and help make the necessary adjustments that allow members to participate fully.
- Buddies work with EDUCATE members to familiarise themselves with each individual’s necessary adjustments, which can range from help getting around to support delivering talks.
- Buddies attend meetings of the group, as well as conferences, seminars and events in the line of EDUCATE work
- Buddies receive support in their role from professional NHS staff facilitating the project.
Personal qualities most suited to this role:
- Friendly and approachable
- Supportive and patient
- Be open to learning from people with dementia
- Be comfortable working independently and flexibility
- Good listening skills
- Ability and willingness to work with organisational policies and procedures
For a full role description see the document below: