Safe at Home
Published on 04 May 2022 11:31 AM
If you have had a fall, have a fear of falling or are at risk of falling we can help! If you are over the age of 65 and live in Cheshire West and Chester we can visit you for a FREE falls prevention home visit.
You don’t have to of had a fall to have a falls prevention home visit. You may have a fear of falling or have been told you are at risk of falling. We are all about prevention and our holistic falls prevention home visit will help identify things that you can change or do to reduce the risk of falling.
Steps for staying Steady:
- Exercise regularly - focus on activities that challenge your balance and strengthen your legs and upper body, like gardening, dancing or tai chi.
- Check your sight and hearing - go for regular sight tests and report difficulties you have with hearing in order to identify problems affecting your balance.
- Look after your feet - wear well-fitted shoes and slippers, and report any foot problems to your GP or chiropodist.
- Ask about your medicines - certain medicines can make you feel faint or affect your balance. Let your GP or pharmacist know if you ever feel like this.
- Get enough vitamin D - vitamin D is essential for keeping bones strong – the best source is sunshine.
- Eat a diet rich in calcium - calcium also helps to keep your bones strong. Good sources are dairy foods, fortified soya products and canned fish with bones.
- Check for home hazards - make sure your home is hazard-free and well lit.
- Visit your GP If you’ve had a fall or are worried about falling, tell your GP.
There are many ways to help you feel confident again. We can help by doing a Falls Prevention Home visit! Please call 01606 305023 and speak to one of our Safe at Home Coordinators to arrange a home visit.