Age UK Surrey is committed to being there for older people who need us. If you decide to leave a gift in your will to us, you will be supporting us to make life better for older people in Surrey.
Legacies and donations are vital to Age UK Surrey because without them, we would not be able to deliver our Services.
Every single gift is vital to Age UK Surrey and we appreciate any gift you may choose to leave us after taking care of your family and friends. Whatever the value of your gift, it will go a long way to help someone who needs us.
By leaving a legacy to Age UK Surrey, you can help to make sure that older people in the County remain independent, informed and healthy. We work to ensure that people live with dignity and respect and are able to make the most of later life.
Legacies can help in so many ways. For example, in 2010 we received a legacy that enabled us to expand our existing services.
Please remember that your legacy gift does not need to be a large amount to make a very real difference - gifts range from a few hundred to thousands of pounds. Gifts can be either a specific sum or a share in the balance, called a share of the residue. Your family may benefit too because a lower rate of inheritance tax applies if over 10 per cent of an estate is left to charity.
How to leave a gift in your will
Having a will and keeping it up-to-date helps ensure that your wishes can be respected and your property and assets benefit people and causes you really care about. We would always recommend that you speak to a qualified professional such as a solicitor, when making or amending your will
To leave a gift to Age UK Surrey in your Will, you will only require a few key pieces of information to take with you to your solicitor.
• The name of the charity: Age UK Surrey
• Registered charity number: 1036450
• Address: Age UK Surrey, Rex House, William Road, Guildford, GU1 4QZ.
- I GIVE the sum of £ free of all taxes payable upon my death to Age UK Surrey (Registered Charity Number 1036450) of Rex House, William Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4QZ and I hereby confirm that the receipt of the treasurer or other authorised officer shall form a good receipt for my executors.
- I GIVE all of my estate whether real or personal after all debts (hereinafter called my 'residuary estate') to Age UK Surrey (Registered Charity Number 1036450) of Rex House, William Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4QZ and I hereby confirm that the receipt of the treasurer or other authorised officer shall form a good receipt for my executors (this may be amended to be a particular share of the estate).
If you already have a will:
If you already have a will and you want to include a gift to Age UK Surrey in it, there may not be need to rewrite it. You can ask a qualified professional such as a solicitor to add an amendment (called a codicil). As a general rule, if the change you wish to make is quite small or simple, you can use a codicil, and if the change is more significant or complex you should make a new will.
What kind of gift can I leave to Age UK Surrey?
You can leave a specific sum of money or an item such as jewellery or a piece of art. Or you can leave a share in, or all of, what's left of the value of your estate after family and friends have been taken care of. The advantage of leaving a share (also known as residuary gift) is that it remains the same over time, and you won't need to change your will to keep up with inflation.
This page has not been written as legal advice, but is meant to be advisory and helpful.
Contact us to find out more
If you are interested in leaving a gift in your will and want more information, please feel free to contact us and we would be happy to talk to you further.