Age UK Bristol's COVID-19 Emergency Appeal
Published on 19 June 2020 03:35 PM
What we're doing to support older people during the COVID-19 pandemic
We are an independent local charity working in the community to support older people, their families and carers, and we need your help. Since the outbreak of Coronavirus [COVID-19], we have been working tirelessly to support the older community in Bristol and now we need your help to keep our service running.
Age UK Bristol has launched a Coronavirus Support Hub for older people in the city, providing practical, social and emotional support. With the Government’s recommendations for social distancing for people over 70, Age UK Bristol's services are playing a critical role in supporting older people at a time when they need it most.
Types of support we're providing
Through the Support Hub, we provide assistance with:
• Shopping – for those in an emergency situation as well as those who just need their regular shopping
• Prescription and pension collection
• Home maintenance and adaptations queries
• Official, up-to-date guidance on coronavirus using the government and NHS websites
• Information on coronavirus-related scams and staying safe
• Information and advice about finances, benefits and allowances for older people, their families and carers
• Signposting to other relevant organisations that may be of help
• A weekly telephone call for a friendly chat with a volunteer for anyone over 50 feeling lonely or isolated
• For those feeling anxious, we can refer people to a qualified professional for a free 30-minute counselling session over the phone. You can refer someone you know, or self-refer through the Support Hub.
• We can also offer telephone bereavement counselling to support those who have lost someone.
• Telephone reading/discussion groups
• Online Tai-Chi sessions
• A range of activities that be carried out within the home, incluidng some online and some in a printable PDF format
• Paper and e-newsletters with useful information, ideas, and activities in
How you can help
Donate to us through our JustGiving page by clicking on the link below.
Your donation will help us continue to deliver these crucial services, whether that is delivering emergency supplies to an isolated older person with no one to support them, providing a weekly befriending call to someone who is feeling isolated and lonely during the pandemic, or helping someone access the information and resources they need.
To find out other ways you can donate to us, click the link below.