A Home Energy Check will ensure that your home is warm and energy-efficient during the cold winter months, and may save you money on your heating bill.
Age UK Dacorum offers free home energy checks to people over the age of 50 who have difficulties keeping their homes warm and/ or whose health may have suffered as a result of living in a cold home. This could include people who are struggling to pay their bills, who are in fuel debt, who have no heating or don't know how to work their heating controls.
During this visit one of our experienced handypersons will help you prepare for the winter by
- Providing useful tips on saving energy
- Ensuring you are using your heating system efficiently
- Advising on other winter services
Our handypersons will also fit energy efficiency equipment including night safety lights, LED light bulbs and remote controlled sockets.
There were 50,100 excess deaths in England and Wales in the winter months of 2017/18 according to the Office for National Statistics, the highest figure since 1975/76. We want to reduce the number of deaths caused by living in cold homes.
How you can help
Help us identify older people in your community who are struggling to keep their home warm.
What to look out for when you come into contact with an older person:
- Do they find it difficult to keep their homes warm? If you are in the home, check the temperature. This should be 21C in the living room and 18C in the bedroom.
- Are there any signs of damp in the home?
- Do they wear multiple layers indoors?
- Are they on prepaid meter? If so, they may not always be able to top it up when it gets cold.
Please call us on 01442 259049 or email email@example.com to refer an older person to us or for more information on our Free Home Energy Check.
This service is funded by Age UK and First Utility.
Keep Warm in Winter
Be prepared for the winter chill