Momory Connections Group Volunteer
What you can expect to gain from volunteering in this role:
- New understandings of health, community and how to support people with Dementia.
- Being part of developing a sense of belonging for group participants.
- The satisfaction of creating an enjoyable and friendly experience.
- Social connection due to meeting a range of new people and working as part of a team.
- Experience gained from a choice of roles: either assisting the Project Co-ordinator to deliver weekly face-to-face groups, or hosting a Carers’ Tea and Chat Group, which will run parallel to the face-to-face MCST group.
- Ongoing support from Age UK Bristol staff.
- Induction training and further training opportunities to help you carry out the role.
- Expenses related to the role (such as travel) covered by Age UK Bristol.
- Occasional social events for Age UK Bristol volunteers.
- Appreciation for your work.
What we’re looking for in a volunteer:
- Availability for 3 hours per week at one of the following times and venues:
- Wednesdays, 09.30 am – 12.30pm for our group at The Tithe Barn, High Street, Shirehampton, Bristol BS11 0DW
- Good verbal communication skills to make everyone feel as comfortable as possible and encourage shyer participants.
- Reliability and punctuality - groups need to run to time.
- Organisational skills to help the Co-ordinator run the sessions to a schedule.
- Ability to raise concerns regarding risk or safeguarding issues.
- Ability to access support from the Age UK Bristol team if required, attend essential training and volunteer support sessions.
About Memory Connections
Our Memory Connections groups are for people with mild to moderate dementia and are based on ‘Maintenance Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (MCST),’ which give theory and structure to the work undertaken in the groups, whilst delivering the sessions in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
More information about Memory Connections service is available here:
For further information please contact:
Jo Youde | MCST Coordinator
Tel: 0117 929 7537 / 07510 660 546
Jo’s usual working days are Wednesday & Thursday.