WEAR YOUR SLIPPERS TO SUPPORT AGE UK CAMBRIDGESHIRE & PETERBOROUGH’S CAMPAIGN TO REDUCE LONELINESS AND ISOLATION AMONGST THE REGION’S OLDER POPULATION
It's Back! Last year was our first ever Slip into Slippers Campaign. This year we hope to build upon our success. Please join us.
Melanie Wicklen, Chief Executive:
“This year has been a significant challenge for everyone. No one has been unaffected by the changes imposed by the Coronavirus- Covid 19 pandemic. Our charity has had to adapt the way we support older people, overcoming many challenges and barriers to ensure the people who need us most receive the help they need in these very difficult times. You can read more about what we have done in the Covid Relief link below. To continue our work we need to continue with our fundraising. We hope you will show your support and join us in your families, support bubbles, on-line or social distanced groups with Slip into Slippers on 2nd October.”
What is Slip into Slippers?
Slip into Slippers is our Autumn Campaign where we ask everyone, including businesses and clubs, to get involved and wear their comfy slippers for a day (or period of time in return for a £1 donation to Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. The focus day for the campaign is the first Friday in October, this year it is 2nd October (or a day of choice/convenience for you around this time). We wish to create a special local date, based upon United Nations International Day of Older Persons which is held annually on 1st October, for our communities to come together and celebrate the privilege of aging. An opportunity to:
- reflect and challenge outdated stereotypes and negative attitudes towards older people
- acknowledge and respect the contribution older people have made and continue to make in our communities
- value all generations and demonstrate consideration and kindness across all generations
- support the work of our charity, raising vital funds to enable us to continue our help to local older people
- Above all - to have a comfy footwear day and perhaps a bit of fun!
On this day, with your help, Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough can highlight the needs of older people and also raise vital funds to support our services, in which we strive to meet some of those needs. Our range of services support older people to live independently and safely in their own home, which is where most people wish to be as they grow older and we provide opportunities to take part in social activities* and meet friends. Loneliness is a growing concern particularly in older age and has a significant impact on health and wellbeing.
* Our face to face services have been suspended and support was moved to telephone calls to maintain contact and strengthen relationships, but as we slowly move out of lockdown we are resuming with doorstep and garden face to face visits.
Many people don’t realise that, as an independent charity, we must raise all of our own funds to run our services. We are part of an Age UK brand agreement, but our services ARE NOT funded by our national partner, Age UK. This is therefore a local campaign that will directly benefit local older people and all fundraising sent to us will stay within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. To show our appreciation every group, organisation, business, school etc who sends in a donation will be listed on our website as a supporter of the campaign and if you send your website link we will also link to your website from our website.
We are all aging, help us to create the environment and support services you would like to receive.
How to get involved?
- If you are a group/business - Appoint a volunteer/spokesperson to co-ordinate.
- Share our campaign - Let others know you are supporting us and encourage them to join the campaign. Please send them the link to this page.
- Publicise the 2nd October (or your chosen participation date), via your social media, (work) notice boards, email, poster (this can be downloaded below).
- Need our support? If you wish, let us know you are participating – we will help in any way we can. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org - Subject matter: Slip into Slippers.
- Wear your slippers on 2nd October (or chosen date)
- Make a donation (suggested donation is £1, but feel free to give more!)
Ways to Donate:
- Text SLIPPERS 1 (or any amount from 1 to 20 e.g. SLIPPERS 5, to donate £5) to 70470 to donate £1. Texts cost £1 (or amount being donated) plus one standard rate message. You can text as many times as you wish but no more than £20 in one text message e.g. SLIPPERS 20.
- On-line via our Virgin Money Giving Page and you can leave us a message if you wish
- Direct Bank Transfer to The Co-operative Bank, Account No: 65793174, Sort Code: 08-92-99
- Cheque payable to Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, post to Finance Dept., The Lindens, 86 Lincoln Road, Peterborough, PE1 2 SN
- Take photos and post to social media using hashtag #SlipintoSlippers, #reduceloneliness and tag us @ageukcap. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Linked In @ageukcap.
- Enjoy wearing your slippers!
- If a business/group - Collect donations and send cheque payable to Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, Finance Dept., The Lindens, 86 Lincoln Road, Peterborough, PE1 2 SN. Or Bank Transfer via bacs to: The Co-operative Bank, Account No: 65793174, Sort Code: 08-92-99
- Tell us about your involvement, share details of what you did with us. The easiest way to do this is to complete Share Your Success form (download below) and email to us at email@example.com Reference - Subject matter: Slip into Slippers or post to: Age UK CAP, 2 Victoria Street, Chatteris, Cambs, PE16 6AP
- Send us the link to your website, so we can name check you on our website. See who joined us last year in LINK below.
See who joined us last year
How Your Donation Helps
All money raised supports services to older people in our County
Wish to help further?
Volunteer, Fundraise, Campaign, Acts of Kindness