If you are over 55 and live in Milton Keynes we can help you carry on living independently in your own home.
Tel 01908 557874
We have adapted the way we provide services in people's homes so that the Independent Living Service can continue to support clients whilst minimising the risk to them and our staff. We provide a regular shopping service and domestic cleaning service. The handyperson, gardening and footcare services are also available.
Our staff are supplied with personal protection equipment (PPE) and will follow safe practices when working during the coronavirus pandemic.
What does this service offer?
This service enables older people living in the borough of Milton Keynes to enjoy later life and live as independently as they wish. We will do our best to meet your individual need and to support you in your own home. All services will be assessed for safety on an individual basis.
- Domestic cleaning, shopping and most errands, activities and visits that older people need to do in their daily life
- Handyperson carrying out safety and security work around the home, including supplying and fitting key safes, handrails, grab rails and ramps
- Relief care sitting-service for carers and the person they look after - we can now provide this service but may not be able to do so where someone has dementia and is unable to follow social distancing and other safety measures.
- A regular gardening service
- Footcare and toenail cutting service
Who is it for?
For people aged 55 or over who live in the borough of Milton Keynes.
There is no minumum length contract. Once you have paid for an assessment, you can arrange to have our service as much or as little as you require. You may wish to increase the frequency of how often we visit, for example, or perhaps add another service. If you stop having the service for longer than six months and wish to restart we will carry out a fresh assessment as your needs may have changed.
How much does it cost?
- Our standard charge is £18 an hour
- We charge £20 an hour for evenings and weekends
- There is a one-off £18 charge for the initial assessment visit - this is for all new clients or previous clients who stopped receiving the service more than six months ago
- We charge an additional 60p per mile if we are not taking you to your local shop or to an appointment that is not near your home
Our thorough recruitment process ensures that we employ caring, reliable and trustworthy staff who will do a good job.
- We take up references and carry out DBS checks before appointing anyone as an Independent Living Assistant.
- Staff are covered by our insurance
- Satff receive mandatory training in Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults, Food Hygiene and Back Care Awareness. They also attend Introduction to Age UK Milton Keynes training so that they are aware of the other services we offer to older people
- Our Independent Living Assistants wear an Age UK Milton Keynes branded uniform with our logo and are issued with personal ID cards which they carry with them at all times. Please ask to see their proof of identification - they will be happy to show it to you.
Bank holidays and cancellations
We are able to provide the Independent Living Service on bank holidays but please arrange this with your usual Independent Living Assistant as this is charged at time and a half.
You must give 72 hours notice if you wish to cancel the service as payment will be required otherwise.
How to access the service
Please call us on 01908 557874 or send an email to email@example.com
We will make arrangements to visit you at home to discuss your requirements.
TrustMark is the Government Endorsed Quality Scheme that covers work a consumer chooses to have carried out in or around their home. When a consumer chooses a TrustMark Registered Business, they are engaging an organisation that has been thoroughly vetted to meet required standards, and has made a commitment to good customer service.
Real people, but made anonymous for the internet
Mrs K moved to Milton Keynes with her husband in 1986 but is now widowed and registered blind. Her Independent Living Assistant cleans the house every week and takes her shopping, meaning that she can carry on living independently in the home she has loved for over 30 years.
Mrs A moved to Milton Keynes to be nearer her daughter. With her daughter working full-time Mrs A finds our Independent Living Service invaluable. As well as cleaning the kitchen and bathroom every week her Independent Living Assistant is also available to accompany Mrs A to the frequent medical appointments she has to monitor a heart condition. Mrs A can enjoy the support of her family but also live independently.