Skip to content

Your security is important to us

We will always make an appointment with clients in advance.  Our handypersons, gardeners and Independent Living Assistants, and other members of our workforce who visit people at home, carry proof of identity - please ask to see it before you let them into your home.  They will be happy to show you their identity card with photo.

Where appropriate, all members of our workforce who visit people at home (in particular handypersons, gardeners, Independent Living Assistants) are DBS (Disclosure and Barring) checked - formerly Criminal Records Bureau, or CRB.  Our retail staff may drive an Age UK Milton Keynes branded van, other members of our workforce will use their own vehicle.

If you are ever unsure about anyone who calls at your home saying they are from Age UK Milton Keynes, or Age UK (or even Age Concern or Help the Aged), for whatever reason, please ring us on 01908 550700.  We will be happy to clarify their identity and to set your mind at rest.

Safeguarding older people

As we get older, we may need support with carrying out daily living tasks or with organising our finances.  Although most people will be trustworthy, being reliant on other people for care and support needs can make us more vulnerable to abuse.  It is important to take certain steps to stay in control of our own decisions, and to be aware that we always have a right to be listened to and respected.

Types of abuse

Abuse can take many forms.  It can be financial, emotional, physical or sexual, and it doesn't always involve a stranger.  Abuse stories in the media are often about people having their savings stolen, but any type of abuse is wrong.

For example, it could be someone you trust taking cash for themselves when you've asked them to do your shopping.  Or you could be spoken to or touched in a way that makes you feel upset or uncomfortable.

Getting support and advice

If you have been abused, you can get advice and support by calling Age UK advice on 0800 169 65 65 or Action on Elder Abuse 0800 0699 784  Be aware that if you think you are at risk, they have a duty to report it.  However, they should talk to you about how you want to handle it.

You can also call your local council's Adult Safeguarding team.  In Milton Keynes the number is 01908 252835 or out of office hours 01908 725005.

If you would like to speak to someone local call Age UK Milton Keynes on 01908 550700 and we will direct you to someone who can help.  Please be aware that confidentiality might be broken in the event of a safeguarding concern.