Age NI uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you control them. Read our cookie policy
Skip to content
Please donate

Carer's Allowance

If you are caring for someone with a disability or health problem, you might be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

Can I claim it?

  • You must be caring for someone who receives either the highest or middle rate of Disability Living Allowance care component, Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced rate of daily living component), Attendance Allowance, or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with either Industrial Injuries Benefit or War Disablement Pension.
  • You need to spend at least 35 hours a week caring for that person. It doesn’t matter if you don’t live with them.
  • You must not be in full-time education or earning more than £116 a week

Carer’s Allowance is paid at £64.60 a week. If your State Pension is more than £64.60 a week, you will not be paid Carer’s Allowance
but you should be awarded an ‘underlying entitlement’ to it.

If you get Carer’s Allowance or have been awarded an underlying entitlement, you will qualify for extra money which will be added to Pension Credit or Housing Benefit.

Contact the Age NI Advice and Advocacy Service before claiming Carer’s Allowance as it may affect the benefits received by the person you care for.

Call the Disability and Carers Service to request a claim form for Carer’s Allowance.

Age NI Advice Service

Every year our Advice Service deals with thousands of calls from older people in need. Call us today to make sure that you are receiving all the help and support available to you.

Call freephone 0808 808 7575
8am – 7pm 365 days a year


Last updated: Sep 11 2018

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top