Age NI uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you control them. Read our cookie policy
Skip to content
Please donate

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit helps pay your rent if you are a tenant. You could be entitled to Housing Benefit but are not receiving it.

Can I claim it?

The support you receive depends on your income, savings, who you live with and how much rent you pay. You may receive more Housing Benefit if you receive a sickness, disability or carer’s benefit.

If you (or you and your partner) are under the qualifying age for Pension Credit, the benefit cap may affect the amount of Housing Benefit you can get.

If you receive Guarantee Credit, you may get your rent paid in full. If you don’t get Guarantee Credit but have a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help.

If you have someone living with you, for example an adult son or daughter, who is expected to contribute to the rent, an amount will usually be deducted from your Housing Benefit. This amount depends on their circumstances.

If you get Housing Benefit and still find it difficult to pay your rent, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment. Contact the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

After Universal Credit has been rolled out, people over State Pension age will get help with rent payments through Pension Credit rather than making a separate claim for Housing Benefit.

When you apply for Housing Benefit you will also be assessed for Rate Relief to see if you qualify for a reduction in your rates.

How do I claim it?

Contact the Northern Ireland Housing Executive to claim. You may be able to apply online, by telephone or by completing a form.

Contact the Pension Service

If you already receive Pension Credit, get in touch with the Pension Service to find out how you could get Housing Benefit.

Benefits Calculator

Use the online benefits calculator to find out much money could you claim.

Age NI Advice Service

Every year our Advice Service deals with thousands of calls from older people in need. Call us today to make sure that you are receiving all the help and support available to you.

Call freephone 0808 808 7575
8am – 7pm 365 days a year


Last updated: Sep 11 2018

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top