Help with Health Costs
Everyone is eligible for free NHS prescriptions in Northern Ireland.
You can also get a free NHS sight test when you reach 60.
If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit, you automatically qualify for help towards NHS health costs.
You will get:
- free NHS dental treatment
- an NHS eye test once a year
- a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- help with necessary travel costs to receive NHS treatment if you are referred by a doctor or dentist or must see a consultant
- free NHS wigs and fabric supports.
If you don’t get Guarantee Credit but have a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help with the above costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme.
Can I claim it?
If you receive Guarantee Credit, you will automatically get help with NHS costs (just show your awards notice as proof).
If you do not receive Guarantee Credit and want to apply for help, you need to fill in a claim form. You can download a form or pick one up from a Social Security Office, dentist, optician or hospital.
Every year our Advice Service deals with thousands of calls from older people in need. Call us today to make sure that you are receiving all the help and support available to you.