Shielding, social distancing and self-isolation
Published on 22 February 2021 03:14 PM
The Government has announced new guidance in England and has advised anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable to shield! This will remain in place until at least March 31st. You should only go out for outdoor exercise and to attend medical appointments. You should otherwise limit the time you spend outside of your home. You should not attend work or school.
A letter from the Government will shortly be going out telling you that you have been added to the list of people who are clinically extremely vulnerable (also known as the shielded patient list). This is a list of people who are at increased risk of becoming seriously unwell from coronavirus.
The letter gives you advice about shielding and the support on offer. We want to make sure you understand the key messages in the letter and the help that is available to you.
The advice for people now identified as high risk:
- Stay at home
- If you can work from home then do, if you can’t work from home then DON’T go to work (please continue to read this letter for further information on Statutory Sick Pay)
- You should also try to stay 2 metres away from other people within your household, especially if they display symptoms of the virus or have been advised to self-isolate
- Exercise outdoors once a day where it is safe to do so
- Do not go shopping or go to pharmacies
- Continue to attend any medical appointments, including of course any vaccination appointments
- Follow the shielding measures even if you have already had both doses of the vaccine.
We know that for some people, following this advice this can make life very difficult which is why we offer support to those who need it.
We can help with things like accessing supermarket delivery slots, prescription collection, befriending, loneliness and wellbeing support. Our Information and Advice team can also give advice on other issues such as benefit entitlement, social care and housing. Call us on 01603 496333 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org