Hours: 22.5 hours (Tues, Thurs, Fri)
Salary: £15,032 (£24,720 FTE)
Location: Hybrid Working (Bognor Regis, Haywards Heath, Horsham or Brighton)
Closing Date: 18th October 2023*
*We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role, therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible. Please note that we are unable to accept sponsorship applications and you will need the Right to Work in the UK.
About The Role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Welfare Benefits Advisor to join our Information and Advice Team. The team is dedicated, nurturing, and supportive and strive to ensure that older people, their families and their carers receive the best level of support available.
As a Welfare Benefits Advisor, you will provide county wide advice, covering a broad range of subject matters including, welfare benefits, housing, employment, consumer, care, community support, funding care, education, and leisure activities.
The successful post holder will have excellent communications skills with the ability to provide accurate information in a clear and empathic way, offering advice over the phone and by email. In this role you will receive training based on the current legislation relevant to older people’s rights and welfare, enabling you to offer an in-depth advice service to phone and email enquiries on a range of issues. You will help them to understand and implement their legislative rights in areas such as community care, housing, income and benefits and many other issues related to later life.
This is a hybrid position, predominantly telephone based from home with one day a week from an office (either Bognor Regis, Haywards Heath, Horsham or Brighton), alongside monthly outreach sessions and occasional home visits. We would ideally need the working days to cover Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive advice in accordance with the Information and Advice Quality Programme (IAQP) and our organisation's policies and procedures.
- Offer benefit checks to all clients and take action to maximise their income.
- Previous experience in delivering benefit advice is essential.
- Empower clients to access the support they need to achieve their desired outcomes.
- Maintain clear and comprehensive records of all enquiries, resolutions, and follow-up actions.
- Stay up-to-date with local and national changes in practice, policy, and law.
- Undertake outreach services and home visits when necessary.
- Identify social policy issues and contribute to research and campaign efforts, including providing case studies.
- Manage your caseload efficiently, working both independently and collaboratively with the team.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- A valid driver's license and access to a car are required for this role.
If you are a compassionate and dedicated individual with a desire to make a meaningful impact on the lives of older people and their communities, we encourage you to apply.
If you need help with submitting an application, please do email email@example.com and we will contact you to help.
To arrange an informal chat, please contact Liz Ansell on 01903 731800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At AUKWSBH we value our people and as such our staff benefits include:
- Flexible Working Option
- Enhanced weekend rates
- Ongoing professional training and development
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time staff)
- Eligible for Blue Light discount scheme
- Part of an inclusive and committed team
- Ability to make a genuine positive difference to people’s lives
- 4% auto enrolment pension with Life Assurance
We are an ageing population and many older people have no one else but us, AUKWSBH are passionate about inspiring and enabling people in West Sussex, Brighton & Hove to Love Later Life by providing . We are Determined to make a difference when and where it matters most, by being passionate, focussed and making a lasting impact.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We want everyone we work with, as a colleague, volunteer, supporter, or someone we support, to feel included and that they belong at Age UK West Sussex, Brighton and Hove..
We are committed to building a diverse organisation that represents the communities we serve and ensuring inclusion in everything we do. During your recruitment process we want to make sure that you bring your whole self and be at your best. so please contact us should you require any adjustments to allow you to apply/undertake your role.
To apply please visit our website and download an application form https://www.ageuk.org.uk/westsussexbrightonhove/get-involved/work-for-us/ or email your CV and full cover letter to email@example.com
Should you be successful, you will be subject to a variety of checks, including DBS and references.