Skip to content

There is financial support available for older people who live in the home they own to help with rates payments.

Can I claim it?

You will get help with your rates payments, if you are entitled to:

  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (not contributions based)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (not contributions based)

If you own and live in your own home but are on a low income, you may also get help with rates but you will have to go through a means test rather than automatically receive the entitlement. There is an upper savings limit of £50,000 and a lower savings limit of £10,000.

How do I claim?

Telephone the Land and Property Services - Rating Division helpline to request a rate rebate form on 0300 200 7801. 

Free benefit check

If you, or an older person you know needs advice, information or practical support on a wide range of issues including welfare benefits, community care, housing and health, contact the Age NI Advice Service on Freephone 0808 808 7575 to speak to a specialist advisor in confidence. Our advisors can provide a free benefit check to ensure that older people are accessing the benefits they are entitled to.

Further information

Related topics


Our Information guides are short and easy to digest, giving a comprehensive overview of the relevant topic. Information sheets and factsheets are longer with more detail, and are aimed at professionals.

You can download other guides in our series from publications

For more information: Call Age NI Advice: 0808 808 7575

Was this helpful?