A new Wraparound Service, developed to support people who may be feeling anxious, depressed, lonely or isolated
The Wraparound Service is managed by AgeUK Wakefield District staff to support older householders who are self -isolating and may be feeling overly anxious and/or emotionally depleted through fear of the COVID-19 threat and subsequent lockdown measures, now and in the future.
After an initial assessment, by specialist staff, each caller is allocated a member of the Wraparound team who calls them on the telephone and offers support ranging from a friendly listening ear with ideas for coping with self-isolation; signposting to specialist mental health services and providing Covid-19 related bereavement support.
All calls will be responded to within 24 hours, Wraparound is not a crisis service.
The Wraparound team is made up of Age UK Wakefield District staff with expertise in managing mental health in older people, staff who are fit and well but self-isolating and a team of experienced volunteers. This team offer time to listen to the needs of psychologically vulnerable older people by providing the space for older people to express their fears and concerns during the lockdown. The team will also provide support with the transition to life after lockdown
The Wraparound Team will:
- Take instruction from the Wraparound Team Manager to contact a person requiring help at an agreed time and date. They will note any relevant details to enhance the experience such as hearing difficulties, cognitive impairment or physical disability
- Phone for a friendly conversation to build trust and confidence and then provide appropriate support from ideas for passing the time of day in a fulfilling way to improving spirits and overall wellbeing
- Signposting to mental health services offering covid-19 related support for loss and bereavement
- Send Wellbeing packs by post or email where appropriate
- Refer to expert members of staff where there is an unresolved issue or a mental health concern, for a follow up phone consultation
- Refer into telephone befriending, as an ongoing method to keep spirits raised and the feeling of being connected
- Provide support for people with transition to life after the lockdown
Who can use the Wraparound Service?
All calls for assistance are processed through our Single Pont of Contact reception on 01977 552114. From here calls are triaged by our expert teams to ensure all needs are understood.
The scheme specifically aims to help older people who:
- Live alone and are unable to get out of the house
- Feel that have no one who can support them emotionally through the situation
- Are over 50 and feel overly anxious and/or emotionally depleted
The Wraparound Service is providing vital support to older people in our district and demand for the service continues to grow.
Our thanks go to our wonderful team of staff and volunteers who are providing essential support at this time.
Are you interested in volunteering with us?
For up to date information of how you can volunteer for us please email our Volunteer Manager on email@example.com
Our Wraparound Service is available 5 days a week - Monday to Friday between 9.00am and 5.00pm
Volunteering is a fulfilling, satisfying and creative experience. You can help to meet the needs of older people by volunteering to support the services we provide.