Skip to content
Please donate

GP services for older people

Although your GP doesn’t need to be your first point of contact if you're feeling unwell, everyone should be registered with a GP. If you're not, you should register with a practice as soon as possible, even if you don't currently have any health problems.

What does a GP do?

  • Your GP can give you medical advice, treatment and prescribe medication.
  • Your GP can also refer you to other healthcare professionals to diagnose or treat specific aspects of your condition. For example, they may refer you to a chiropodist, for a hearing test, or to your local falls prevention service. These other health professionals may visit you at home or hold clinics at a local practice, health centre or hospital.
  • Your GP practice must allocate everyone a named, accountable GP. This GP will oversee your care and take responsibility for evaluating your current physical and psychological needs. Though this doesn’t mean the named GP is the only doctor at your practice who will or can provide care.

What services should I look for in a GP practice?

If you're joining a new practice, ask about the availability of services that may be important to you, such as:

  • how the appointment system works
  • how far in advance you can book a non-urgent appointment
  • extended opening hours
  • support for carers
  • availability of male and female GPs and nurses
  • wheelchair access
  • staff who speak languages other than English

Some practices offer a 24-hour online service, through which you can book appointments with a GP of your choice or cancel appointments, order repeat prescriptions and view your summary care record. Speak to the receptionist to find out what online services your GP practice is offering and how to register for online access.

If you have difficulty finding a practice with space for new patients, contact NHS England - it's their responsibility to find a GP practice for you.

Find out more on the NHS Choices website

What if I'm too ill to visit my GP?

If you're unable to visit your GP surgery for medical reasons, you can ask your GP to make a home visit. Your GP may be able to give you advice through a telephone consultation. If possible, try to call your GP in the morning if you think you'll need a visit the same day.

What if I'm not registered with a GP or I'm away from home?

You should always be able to see a GP if you need urgent attention. If you're away from home or have not registered with a GP and fall ill, you should contact the nearest surgery and ask them to see you.

If you'll be living away from your usual address for up to three months, you can register as a temporary patient at a local practice. You'll still be able to remain registered as a patient with the GP where you normally live.

What support can I get if I have a long-term condition?

Millions of people have one or more long-term condition, such as diabetes, arthritis, asthma, heart disease and lung diseases. These conditions cannot be cured but can be managed with medication and other treatments.

If you have a long-term condition, your GP should help you understand and manage your own care. This may include drawing up a care plan to help you manage your condition on a day-to-day basis and recognise symptoms that you should report to your GP. It may also include creating an 'information prescription' with the help of NHS Choices, which helps you find reliable sources of information about your condition.


Age NI Advice Service

Every year our Advice Service deals with thousands of calls from older people in need. Call us today to make sure that you are receiving all the help and support available to you.

Call freephone 0808 808 7575
Monday - Friday 9am – 5pm 


Last updated: Aug 01 2022

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top