Age UK Wakefield District uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them. Read our cookie policy
Skip to content

Domestic Abuse and Older People Financial Abuse

Published on 25 November 2020 04:10 PM

West Yorkshire Police has launched a campaign to highlight the risks of domestic abuse in older people.


West Yorkshire Police has launched a campaign to highlight the risks of domestic abuse in older people.

Many people think that domestic abuse only applies when there is physical violence between couples, but it can involve coercive and controlling behaviour such as financial control.  It can also take place between family members such as sons, daughters or grandchildren.

Domestic abuse is defined as:

Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over, who are, or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

The abuse can encompass but is not limited to the following types of abuse:

  • Psychological
  • Physical
  • Sexual
  • Financial and or
  • Emotional

If you have a relative who is controlling your or your money, or you are worried about someone you know, there are lots of organisations who can help.

Financial control could take the form of a relative always visiting on pension day, and persuading the victim to give them some or all of their money.  Or it could involve the victim being threatened or suffering physical violence.  This is domestic abuse and it is a crime.

Many older people who are suffering this crime will be reluctant to contact the Police, because they won’t want to get their relative into trouble.  In many cases the victim will realise that what is happening is wrong, but they think that the relative will stop visiting them if they don’t give them money. They feel it is worth giving them their money for their company, as it may be the only person they see regularly.

If this is happening to you, or you suspect it is happening to someone you know there are agencies who can offer help and support:

You can contact West Yorkshire Police by calling 101 for non-emergencies.
If a crime is in progress or there is a danger to life you should call 999 immediately.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can use our Live Chat function or TypeTalk 18001 101.

If you would like to report a crime but don’t want to speak to the Police you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Other agencies who can help:

Age UK

National Domestic Abuse Helpline
0808 2000 247

116 123

Victim Support
0845 456 5995