We provide a range of information and advice services to older people, their carers and professionals on a wide range of issues including housing, social care, residential care and maintaining independence.
You can contact the service by telephone, email, or by calling in to the Carlton Street, Castleford office.
The helpdesk is open at our Carlton Street office Monday to Friday, 09.30am - 3.00pm as a drop in.
Helpdesk: 01977 552476
By contacting us you can:
- Explain your problem to the information advisor
- Request a private interview or appointment
- Request the Information Advisor to make telephone calls or write letters on your behalf
Information is provided:
- Through Age UK factsheets
- Information sheets and leaflets from various agencies, both local, national and on the internet
- By the National Association of Citizens Advice Bureau computer system. Referrals to specialist services can also be made
As a supplement to our general advice service, we also offer specialist advisors at our Bank Street office.
All specialist advice is available by appointment only.
The Local Pension Service (DWP)
Monday afternoon 12.00pm - 3.00pm
(only available to those of pensionable age)
Department of Work and Pensions staff can advise on:
- State Retirement Pension
- Pension Credit
- Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Carers Allowance
- Housing and Council Tax Benefit
Home visits can be arranged if necessary
A free 30 minute consultation with a solicitor is available on the first Wednesday of each month, 9.30am - 12.00noon.
Advice can be provided about:
- Lasting Power of Attorney
- Court of Protection
Please note that normal Solicitor's costs apply for any work undertaken.
The reminiscence library offers free loans of themed boxes to support activities in groups, Care Homes or for individuals. The library may be accessed through the Helpdesk.
Unfortunately, we cannot deliver the boxes, they must be collected by arrangement. Any box may be borrowed for up to 2 weeks. The Reminiscence Library comprises 11 topic boxes ranging from entertainment, school days, holidays and work.
The Helpdesk can provide equipment loans of wheelchairs, commodes and walking frames on a free, short term basis of up to six weeks. Please note: a charge is made for commode pans.
Loan equipment is to be collected from the Bank Street office as we do not offer a delivery service.