Winter Pressures funding
Published on 22 December 2020 02:03 PM
We have successfully secured additional Winter Pressures funding from NHS England to offer an enhanced Hospital Aftercare Service until 31st March 2021.
The national charity Age UK is assisting the NHS through an extra challenging winter during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Winter is a high-pressure season for health and social care services, with the colder temperatures and harsher weather conditions leading to increased demands on hospitals and GPs as flu season begins. This, paired with the impact of Covid-19, presents significant challenges for winter 2020 and plans by the NHS system to reinstate pre Covid-19 services and levels of activity, whilst also responding to any future outbreaks.
Working in partnership with NHS England, British Red Cross and St John’s Ambulance, Age UK Milton Keynes and the local Age UK Network are providing much needed extra capacity to support safe, coordinated discharge of patients from hospital, along with community based interventions to support recovery at home and prevent hospital admissions and re-admissions.
In addition to the support provided by our Hospital Aftercare Service, we are able to offer an enhanced service to include:
- a wheelchair accessible vehicle
- transport home to any place of permanent or temporary residence eg home, residential care home, community hospital.
- continued practical support for up to six weeks, which can include food shopping, light housework, meal preparation. If this support needs to be extended for a longer period, this can be reviewed.
- prescription collection, emergency shopping
- transport to essential medical and outpatient appointments
- welfare calls which can offer valuable conversation during isolating times and help lessen anxieties. We can give reassurance that any issues or concerns raised will be addressed by our staff who can help.
Criteria for service: over 18 years of age, living in Milton Keynes, with little or no other support from family or friends.
Please call us on 01908 996073 or email HAS@ageukmiltonkeynes.org.uk
Open seven days a week 9am-4pm