First Connect Volunteer
Age NI's First Connect service offers dedicated emotional and practical support at difficult times in an individual’s life; situations which are often triggered by feeling the loss of independence or sudden unexpected changes in important relationships.
What is the overall purpose of the volunteer role?
First Connect volunteers provide support to older people, helping to reduce isolation and loneliness.
What will you be doing?
• You will be matched with a local older person and will liaise directly with them to arrange meetings/visits
• Assist with service user led activities. It could be a game of golf, a trip to the hairdressers, a coffee and bun out or even just meeting them in their home!
• Aim to reduce loneliness and isolation
• Signpost to community supports
• Build confidence
• Report back to the First Connect Coordinator
Like to find out more?
If you would like to volunteer with Age NI, please complete this form. Once submitted we will review it and contact you with more information.
What skills/qualities do you need?
- Reliable, friendly and approachable
- Can build trusting and supportive relationships
- Excellent communication and active listening skills
- Empathetic and sensitive approach
- Ability to work independently, using your own initiative but knowing when to seek support
- Ability to adhere to GDPR procedures/maintain confidentiality
The role is very flexible and can be tailored to suit you and your service user.
You could be meeting your service user in their home or out in the community depending on what you have planned for the visit! First Connect currently operates in the Northern trust area only.
What support will you get?
- A thorough induction and ongoing training
- A central point of contact (First Connect Coordinator)
- 3 monthly supervisions and ongoing support
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed
What will you gain?
- Fulfilment – feel good about making a positive, life changing difference
- Learn new skills
- Gain social interaction and a chance to develop friendships
- Gain knowledge on available services and activities
- Insight into the ageing processes
- Boost your CV and increase your employability
What our volunteers say:
“I’ve made firm friends, met lots of lovely people and gained self confidence. Try volunteering; it’s a wonderful feeling to help improve later life for another person.”
96% of our volunteers enjoy their role!
Why do we need you?
Age NI is the leading charity for older people in Northern Ireland. Our vision is a world where everyone can love later life. Our mission is to help people enjoy a better later life. Our society is ageing. More than 350,000 older people live in Northern Ireland, and there are more people over the age of 50 than under the age of 19. In the next twenty years, the number of people over 50 will increase by more than 30%. We believe that people should be supported to love later life.
- This role is only suitable for those 18 and over
- This role requires an informal interview, Enhanced Access NI check (free of charge) and 2 satisfactory references