Staying Sharp Volunteers
What is Staying Sharp?
'Staying Sharp’ is a project providing support to older people with mild cognitive impairments (MCI) in Ballymena and the surrounding area. The aim of this project is to support healthy lifestyle choices to reduce the risk of developing dementia. Volunteers provide support to older people with MCI’s to make healthy lifestyle choices, working towards reducing isolation and increasing confidence.
What will you be doing?
You will be matched with a local older person and will liaise directly with them to arrange meetings/visits. It could be a game of golf, a trip to the hairdressers, a coffee out or even just meeting them in their home! You will signpost to community supports and report back to the MCI Advisor.
Like to find out more?
If you would like to volunteer with Age NI, please complete this form. Once submitted we will review it and contact you with more information.
What skills/qualities do you need?
You need to be reliable, friendly, organised and approachable. Able to build trusting and supportive relationships with older people and their carers. Have excellent communication and active listening skills. Ability to work independently, using your own initiative but knowing when to seek support is also vital.
When and Where?
The role is very flexible and can be tailored to suit you and your service user. You could be meeting your service user in their home or out in the community depending on what you have planned for the visit! Staying Sharp operates in Ballymena and the surrounding area.
What support will you get?
- A thorough induction and ongoing training
- A central point of contact (MCI advisor)
- 3 monthly supervisions and ongoing support
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed
What will you gain?
- Fulfilment – feel good about making a positive, life changing difference
- Learn new skills
- Gain social interaction and a chance to develop friendships
- Gain knowledge on available services and activities
- Insight into the ageing and dementia processes
- Boost your CV and increase your employability
What our volunteers say:
“I’ve made firm friends, met lots of lovely people and gained self confidence. Try volunteering; it’s a wonderful feeling to help improve later life for another person.”
96% of our volunteers enjoy their role!
Why do we need you?
Age NI is the leading charity for older people in Northern Ireland. Our vision is a world where everyone can love later life. Our mission is to help people enjoy a better later life. Our society is ageing. More than 350,000 older people live in Northern Ireland, and there are more people over the age of 50 than under the age of 19. In the next twenty years, the number of people over 50 will increase by more than 30%. We believe that people should be supported to love later life.
- This role is only suitable for those 18 and over
- This role requires an informal interview, Enhanced Access NI check (free of charge) and 2 satisfactory references