Skip to content

Household Support Fund

Published on 16 June 2022 12:38 PM

Household Support Fund 3

UPDATE 01.12.22

A new round of the Household Support Fund has  commenced. For details please FOLLOW THIS LINK

From December 2022

For Household Support Fund 3 applications

Important Information 

Please note that when we call you, we will need to ask for your bank account number and sort code, as this information is needed to credit your account. If you feel cautious to do this, we can arrange to send you vouchers.  It is important that you know that Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough staff WILL NOT ask for your long card number or the 3-digit security code.


  • The Household Support Fund will not be paid on the same day as our phone call.
  • Our staff will not ask for the long bank card details or the security number on the card.
  • Our staff will always give their full name and contact details, so the caller can make enquiries to verify who we are.
  • We are happy to talk to family members or carers.
  • We do ask for bank account details to make the payment – However, we only ask for the account number, sort code and name which appears on the account. This information will allow a deposit to be made into the account but cannot give access to make a withdrawal of money from the account.






Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough is administering the HOUSEHOLD SUPPORT FUND for pensioners in the county.

We're very pleased to be a ‘Trusted Partner’ working in partnership with Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council to help administer the Household Support Fund enabling local older people to benefit and receive some additional financial support during these very hard times.

In March 2022, the Government announced an extension of the Household Support Fund scheme, awarding Cambridgeshire an additional £3.58million to support those in need across the County, with a particular focus on support for pensioners.

We have been campaigning locally on the plight of older people in the light of increasing energy prices and cost of living. In the winter, we joined our national partner, Age UK, for the national campaign on the ‘Cost of Cold’ and now support ‘It Doesn’t Add Up’, a continuation campaign expressing concern about how the rising cost of living is affecting older people on low and modest incomes and, campaigning for more government support.

Over the winter months we have been a trusted referrer and are delighted that, from 6th June 2022, we are in a postion to support our local councils in administering the fund.

What is the Household Support Fund?

A pot of money set aside by the Department for Work and Pensions which is provided to local authorities to support the local population in times of financial hardship. Awards of £100 will be given to those eligible, which does not have to be repaid.

What can it be used for?

To support purchasing:

  • Food and essential supplies
  • Paying for gas, electricity, oil or water in your home
  • Other essential supplies, such as repairs to your boiler to help keep you and your family warm

Who can apply?

Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough is supporting pensioners who are eligible to apply. Younger people can apply by contacting Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council directly in the box links given below.

  • You were born on or before 30 September 1956
  • You live in Cambridgeshire
  • You are experiencing financial hardship
  • No one under the age of 19 (born after the 30 September 2003), lives with you
  • You earn less than £17,940 per year or are in receipt of one of the following:
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit


What other help could I get?

 - From US at Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough (AgeUKCAP):

Our information and advice team will be able to do a full benefits and entitlements check with you and support you to manage your finances. Our local team are knowledgeable on local grants and pots of funds available.

We are an alternative office for the DWP and we can help with benefit claims / applications for:

  • Attendance Allowance (for people aged 65 years and over)
  • Carer’s Allowance (for people aged 16 and over)
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension
  • Winter Fuel Payment

It is the Department for Work and Pensions who will consider your claim / application and decide if you are entitled to benefit.

We will of course continue to provide advice and information about benefits independently of the Department for Work and Pensions. 

Contact us on 0300 666 9860 or Email:

 - From Age UK:

The national charity, Age UK, also has further information on what could be available to you, these are given in the links beneath and all will take you to the Age UK website:

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Age UK Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming. CLICK HERE to get a benefits check online.

Help to pay bills

Help to boost income

Help to pay for care or bereavement


How can you help us at AgeUKCAP and others?

  • Awareness and Distribution

A press release has been issued and details, leaflets and posters of availability of the Household Support Fund will soon be found in libraries, GP surgeries, community centres and other community places.

  • Please share this information with any poeple you know, it may help an older person somewhere we can't reach. 
  • Please share this website page in your social media, with your contacts and in your community groups. It is vitally important that people don’t miss out on money just waiting to be claimed!

Comments in the press release upon the Household Support Fund:

Councillor Tom Sanderson, Chair of Cambridgeshire County Council’s Communities, Social Mobility and Inclusion Committee said: “The rapidly rising cost of living is understandably a source of considerable anxiety to many – especially coming so soon after the pandemic and its effect on the economy and household budgets. We are using The Household Support Fund to try and make sure that those most in need in our county receive support.

“We do not want anyone who is eligible to be excluded, though we are aware that older people can sometimes be reluctant to ask for help. That is why it is vital that any pensioner who is struggling financially should apply as soon as possible to see what help is available.  If you know a pensioner who might benefit, please encourage them to apply.”

Melanie Wicklen, CEO of Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough said “Many older people are finding it increasingly hard to pay for the most basic items, with some having to seek financial support for the first time in their lives.  This fund is set out to provide additional help in these difficult times and we would urge our local pensioners to make contact with us so we can support them to make this claim and also help with other matters, such as carrying out benefit checks to ensure they are receiving everything they are entitled to.”



Send an enquiry to us NOW!

Pension Credit

You could be entitled to a pension top-up.

More Information

Further information on the Household Support Fund can be found on the Cambridgeshire County Council website with details of other Trusted Providers (includes support for younger people)

More Information

Further information on the Household Support Fund can be found on the Peterborough City Council website with details of other Trusted Providers (includes support for younger people)

Supporting people over the winter

Previously we were trusted referrers for the Household Support Fund (HSF)

Managing Energy Bills

Information of support available to help with energy bills

Need other support?

Take a look at the services we can offer