We use cookies to give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. Read more about how we use cookies and find out how you can change your browser's cookie settings.
Skip to content
Please donate

Universal Credit

If you're out of work or on a low income, you may be able to claim Universal Credit to boost the money you have coming in.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit that has been rolled out nationally since December 2018. It will eventually replace the below 'legacy' benefits by migrating existing claimants to Universal Credit:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit.

If you currently receive these benefits, you will continue to receive payments as normal for the time being. Your local Jobcentre Plus or Tax Credits office will let you know when your benefit will be replaced by Universal Credit.

For most people making a new benefit claim, you will have to claim Universal Credit instead of the above 'legacy' benefits. 

How much could I get?

The amount of Universal Credit you get will depend on a number of factors, such as how much you earn, or how much savings you have.

The basic standard allowances for Universal Credit are:

  • £317.82 per month if you’re single
  • £498.89 per month if you’re a couple.

On top of the standard allowance, you may be entitled to extra money if you have:

  • housing costs
  • a disability or a health condition
  • caring responsibilities for a disabled person
  • dependent children
  • childcare costs.

Universal Credit is paid monthly. The payment you get each month will depend on how much you earned in the previous month and on your changing circumstances.

Am I eligible for Universal Credit?

To claim Universal Credit, you must:

  • be under State Pension age
  • have a low income or are out of work 
  • have savings below £16,000
  • live in the UK
  • accept a ‘Claimant Commitment’.

You can’t claim Universal Credit if you’re already receiving certain benefits, such as Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. If you are claiming these benefits, you will be moved to Universal Credit in the future.

If you're a mixed age couple, meaning one person is over Pension Credit qualifying age and the other person is younger than this, you have currently a choice whether to claim Pension Credit or Universal Credit. For most people, it is better to claim PC as your income is likely to be higher and you are not subject to UC work seeking conditions.

However, as of 15 May 2019, the rules changed so that both members of a couple will have to reach Pension Credit qualifying age to claim it. Existing mixed aged couples claiming Pension Credit at the date of the change will stay on it. Mixed aged couples making a new claim after this change will have to claim Universal Credit until they both reach Pension Credit qualifying age.

Find out if you are over Pension Credit qualifying age on GOV.UK.

How do I claim Universal Credit?

 Fill out the online claim form on GOV.UK

What happens next?

Your online claim will be followed by a face-to-face interview with a work coach at your local Jobcentre Plus.

During your interview, you’ll have to agree to certain conditions, called a ‘Claimant Commitment’. This sets out what you must do so you can receive Universal Credit. It often includes a job search plan to help you get back to work or earn more income.

These conditions will depend on your health, your responsibilities, and your circumstances. If you don’t meet the conditions, your benefit may be reduced or stopped.

Need help?

If you need help filling out the form or have any questions, call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 (or textphone 0800 328 1344). 

If you don’t feel confident about claiming online, ask your local Age UK for help or call Age UK Advice on 0800 678 1602.

What should I do next?

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.

Find your local Age UK


  • Please select a search type
  • Please enter a valid postcode

For more information call the Age UK Advice Line on 0800 678 1602.
We’re open 8am to 7pm, every day of the year.

Share this page

Last updated: Dec 04 2019

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top