Free prescriptions for over 60s
Everyone aged over 60 gets free prescriptions and eye tests, but you may be entitled to help with other NHS health costs too, depending on your circumstances.
What help could I get with health charges?
If you’re in later life, depending on your circumstances, you could also get:
- free NHS dental treatment
- a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- free NHS wigs and fabric supports
- help with travel costs to receive NHS treatment.
So if you’re aged over 60, you should always ask your dentist, optician or hospital staff for advice on whether you’re eligible for help with costs before paying for any medical treatment.
If you're under 60 you can save money on prescriptions by buying prescription prepayment certificates from the NHS for 3 months or 12 months. This covers all you prescriptions for that period, regardless of how many you need.
Am I eligible for free health treatments?
You will qualify for help with NHS medical costs if you and/or your partner receive any of the following benefits:
- the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (in some circumstances)
- Universal Credit.
If you don’t receive any of these benefits, but have a low income, you may still get some help with health costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme.
How do I claim free health treatments?
- If you receive any of the benefits listed above, all you need to do to get help with NHS costs, is to show your benefit award letter or HC2 or HC3 certificate to health care staff as proof at point of payment.
- If you’re 60 or over, you’ll need to show proof of age to the pharmacist and dentist to get free prescriptions and dental treatment.
- If you don’t receive any of these benefits, but have a low income, call Help with Health Costs on 0300 330 1343 for a form or pick one up from a dentist, optician or hospital.
You might find these documents useful for reference.
What benefits can you claim?
Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Find out exactly what you are owed, quickly and easily, using Age UK's benefits calculator.