Skip to content
Please donate

Free bus pass and transport concessions

If you're 60 or over or you have a disability, you might be eligible for public transport concessions – from discounts on your rail journeys to a free bus pass.

What transport concessions are available?

There are several national public transport concessions available to older and disabled people. Some entitle you to discounts on your fares, while others allow you to travel for free.

Eligibility for these concessions depends on your age or whether you have a disability. To find out what you might be able to get, see the sections below.

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.

Can I get a free over-60 bus pass?

Depending on your age and your circumstances, you might be able to get one of the below free bus passes:

Both of these passes get you free travel on local buses.

Older person's bus pass 

You can get an older person's bus pass when you reach State Pension age. Apply for your bus pass by visiting the GOV.UK website.

Disabled person's bus pass

There's no central provider of the disabled person's bus pass. So, to find out if you're eligible and where to apply, get in touch with your local council.

It can also be worth contacting individual transport operators to see if they offer discounts. For example, National Express offers Coachcards to older or disabled customers, which cost £12.50 and save you a third on your travel across the year.

Can I get a discount on rail travel?

Depending on your age and circumstances, you might be entitled to one of the below railcards:

Both railcards are discount cards. You buy them for a set fee each year and they get you a third off the cost of your train travel.

Senior Railcard

The Senior Railcard is available for anyone aged 60 or over to buy.

You can apply for one on the Senior Railcard website using a valid passport or UK driving licence as ID. Alternatively, you can apply in person at most staffed railway stations.

Disabled Person's Railcard

The Disabled Person's Railcard is available to you if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • you receive a disability-related benefit, such as Personal Independence Payment
  • you're registered as deaf or you use a hearing aid
  • you're registered as having a visual impairment
  • you have epilepsy
  • you receive Attendance Allowance
  • you receive Severe Disablement Allowance
  • you receive War Pensioner's mobility supplement
  • you receive War or Service Disablement pension

For a complete list of criteria or to apply for your railcard online, visit the Disabled Persons Railcard website.

Stations Made Easy

National Rail has created an interactive tool to help people find their way around stations and avoid potential difficulties like stairs.

Can I get a London Freedom Pass?

Freedom Passes give London residents free travel in the city – including trams, National Rail services, the Underground, river services and buses – and free local bus journeys nationally.

If you live in London, you can apply for a Freedom Pass if one of the following applies to you:

  • you've reached State Pension age
  • you have a disability.

To find out more or to apply, visit the London Councils Freedom Pass webpage.

If you're over 60 but under State Pension age and you live in London, you can get a special Oyster card for free travel in the city.

What if I'm unable to use public transport?

If you're disabled, you can't use public transport, and you don't have access to a car, you might also be able to use a community transport scheme – such as a social car, dial-a-ride, or taxicard scheme.

Shopmobility schemes help people shop in town centres by lending out wheelchairs and scooters. Some local councils also offer concessions on local public transport.

Contact your local council or your local Age UK to find out what's available in your area.

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 125 local Age UKs.

Share this page

Last updated: May 25 2022

You might also be interested in...

Changes to couples benefits

The way benefits are given to couples where there's an age gap between them has changed. Find out if this affects you...

Pension Credit

If you're over State Pension age and you're struggling to make ends meet, Pension Credit could help top up your income.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top