Free bus pass and transport concessions
One of the perks of getting older in the UK is the transport concessions you get, such as the free bus pass.
What transport concessions could I get as an older person?
The main national public transport concessions available to older people are:
- Free older person’s bus pass means you can travel free on local buses in England.
- The Senior Railcard is an annual savings card. You buy it for a one-off cost and it will allow you to make big savings on most rail fares in the UK.
- London Freedom Pass gives you free or discounted travel for London residents across London transport networks, including trams, national rail, the underground, river services, and buses.
- Various transport concessions available to disabled older people
It’s also worth contacting the individual coach and train operators to see if they offer discounts for older people. For example, National Express offers a Senior Coachcard for people who are 60 and over. It costs £12.50 and offers a third off your travel throughout the year.
Some local authorities offer concessions that apply to local public transport. Contact your local council for more information about what they offer.
At what age am I eligible to claim?
- Free older person’s bus pass: the age at which you can apply for your free bus pass depends on when you were born and where you live.
- The Senior Railcard: available to anyone aged 60 or over.
- London Freedom Pass: Eligibility for this pass is in line with the women’s State Pension age. People born on or after 6 October 1954 will have to wait until they are 66 years old to be eligible for a Freedom Pass.
How do I apply for these concessions?
Free older person’s bus pass
Contact your local authority for more information on how to apply
You can order online from the Senior Railcard website using a valid passport or UK driving licence as ID, or you can also apply at most staffed railway stations.
The Freedom Pass website tells you all the documents you'll need to complete application.
For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112
What benefits can you claim?
Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Find out exactly what you are owed, quickly and easily, using Age UK's benefits calculator.