Skip to content
Please donate

Problems with care

If you're unhappy with the care you or your loved one is receiving, it's important to take action to fix it.

We'll guide you through the process of resolving common problems with care. But if you're worried that someone is being ill-treated, you need to act now. 

Contact your local council - they have a duty to follow up concerns. You can also contact our free Age UK Advice Line on 0800 169 65 65 or call the Action on Elder Abuse confidential helpline to discuss the situation.

I have an issue with...

  • Care homes

    Do you have concerns about the cleanliness, quality of personal care or behaviour of staff at your care home? Read more.
  • NHS services

    You can make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or services. This includes GP, hospital, pharmacy, ambulance or community health services.
  • Local council services

    You can complain about anything that your local council does if it directly affects your care.
  • Homecare providers

    You have a right to receive a certain standard of care and be treated in a professional and caring way.

Sometimes things can go wrong with care

Caroline Abrahams, Age UK Charity Director, explains what to do if you're worried about the standard of care you're receiving.

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 140 local Age UKs.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top