Skip to content
Please donate

Financial support for carers

Caring for someone can lead to money worries, especially if your caring role means you have to give up work. But there may be financial support available to help you and put your mind at ease.

Can I get help from my local council?

You're entitled to a free carer's assessment from your local council. Following the assessment, the council then decides whether you're eligible for help. They may decide that you're eligible for a carer's personal budget to help you with your caring role. 

To get started, ask your local council for a carer's assessment.

Find out more about the carer's assessment

Find your local council

You just need your postcode to get started.

Am I entitled to any benefits?

Carer's Allowance is the main welfare benefit to help carers, worth £81.90 per week (this figure is usually reviewed each April). To be eligible for Carer's Allowance, you must:

  • spend at least 35 hours per week caring for someone, whether or not you live with them
  • care for someone who receives certain benefits
  • not be in full-time education or earning more than £151 a week (after tax and expenses)

Find out more about Carer's Allowance

Are you entitled to extra money?

Do you know what benefits you're entitled to? Our online benefits calculator can help you quickly and easily find out what you could be claiming.

Get a free benefits check

Benefits for the person you care for

The person you care for must receive either Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance care component (at the higher or middle rate), Personal Independence Payment daily living component (at either rate) or Armed Forces Independence Payment, depending on their circumstances.

Can I protect my State Pension?

If you give up work to care for someone, you might be worried that not paying National Insurance (NI) will lower your State Pension. But if you care for someone for at least 20 hours per week, you could get Carer's Credit, which helps to maintain your NI record.

If you get Carer’s Allowance, you'll get Carer's Credit automatically, but you don’t have to be receiving Carer’s Allowance to get it.

Find out more about Carer's Credit on the GOV.UK website

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age UKs.

Share this page

Last updated: Jul 11 2024

You might also be interested in...

Carer's Allowance

If you care for someone you could be entitled to Carer's Allowance. Find out more.

Carer's assessment

Caring can be tough, and lots of people don’t like to ask for help. But some extra support could make a world of...

Personalised care budgets

If you need help with day-to-day tasks at home, your local council may be able to help you pay for care. If you're...

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top