Skip to content
Please donate

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax Reduction) is a benefit to help people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits to pay their Council Tax bill.

How much Council Tax Support will I get?

There is no set amount of Council Tax Support. What you get depends on your circumstances and where you live.

Each local council is responsible for operating its own Council Tax Support scheme so the amounts of support given across the country may vary.

Wherever you live, the amount of Council Tax Support you get depends on many factors, including:

  • which benefits you receive
  • your age
  • your income
  • your savings
  • who you live with
  • how much Council Tax you pay.

You may get more Council Tax Support if you receive a disability or carers benefit.

If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit you may even get your Council Tax paid in full. If you don’t get Guarantee Credit but you have a low income and less than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help.

If you're not over State Pension age, the Council Tax Support you're entitled to is worked out under 'working age scheme' rules. Check these rules with your local council. 

Am I eligible to claim Council Tax Support?

If you’re on a low income or receiving certain benefits, you might be eligible for Council Tax Support.

But whether you're eligible in your area, and what you might be eligible for is ultimately up to your local council. Each council has their own rules so you should check what the rules are in your area.

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.

How do I claim Council Tax Support?

As local councils run their own Council Tax Support schemes, how you make a claim might differ depending on where you live. 

But wherever you live, the first thing you'll need to do when making a claim is to contact your local council.  

As well as Council Tax Support, there are other exemptions and discounts that might apply to you. You might be able to get money off your Council Tax bill if:

  • you live alone
  • you're a carer 
  • you or someone you live with has a severe mental impairment, such as dementia or a learning difficulty
  • there are adaptations in your home that make it suitable for someone with a disability who lives there
  • you have another person living with you who isn't your partner and is on a low income
  • your property is empty - for example, you've gone into hospital or moved into a care home
  • where you're living isn't your main residence
  • there's an issue, such as a flood, which may be covered by a discretionary discount offered by some councils.

You might also be eligible for a Council Tax rebate. Find out if you could be eligible


Want more information?

We have more information about ways you can reduce your local tax bill.

Read other ways you can reduce what Council Tax you pay

Download our Council Tax Support information guide

Download our Council Tax factsheet 

We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 125 local Age UKs.

Share this page

Last updated: Apr 25 2022

You might also be interested in...

Council Tax rebate

The Government has announced a Council Tax rebate to help households deal with rising energy costs. Find out what you...

Ways to reduce Council Tax

Council Tax is a property-based tax paid to local authorities. If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to...

Housing Benefit

If you're on a low income and struggling to cover your rent, you might be able to claim Housing Benefit.

Pension Credit

If you're over State Pension age and you're struggling to make ends meet, Pension Credit could help top up your income.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top