Befriending and companionship for older people in Hammersmith and Fulham
"It's wonderful, and I can't thank you enough for sending him to me. When he rings me up to say he's coming, I can't wait. He has a cup of tea and sits and talks to you. He puts you at ease and you feel comfortable with him. It's something I look forward to. He's in Africa at the moment and he still phones me to see if I'm alright, that's what a wonderful lad he is. It really and truly makes my day, I feel so lucky. I'd recommend anyone if they're lonely to have someone like that because they are a treasure." Lillian, 86 from Fulham
Many older people feel isolated and lonely and we try to alleviate this loneliness by matching the older person with a carefully selected volunteer who agrees to visit on a regular basis, usually once a week for about an hour or two.
We recruit volunteers of all ages and from all walks of life to support us in delivering our one-to-one support and befriending service.
Befriending may simply involve popping round to somebody’s home for a cup of tea and a chat, but may include helping older people with small practical tasks.
Volunteers are also able to help
- By escorting people to their GP or hospital appointment
- Accompanying an older person to the local library, shops or cafe.
- With other small practical tasks
Who can use the In Touch Befriending Scheme?
- Anyone aged 50 and over
- Those who have little or no contact with others
- Those who don’t often leave their homes
- People who are ill or disabled
- People with non-acute mental health needs
- People who lack confidence as a result of a recent life changing experience
What the In Touch Project does not do?
- Offer practical care such as assistance with bathing or other personal care
- Household repairs such as plumbing, electrical work, painting and decorating
Give financial advice
Call in Time telephone befriending
Call in Time is a free telephone befriending service run by Age UK national. They can arrange for a friendly volunteer to call you every week for 30 minutes.