Skip to content

Rising energy bills - where to get help

Published on 19 January 2022 11:34 AM

Energy bills are set to rise by an average of £700 a year in April. There have been worrying news reports of people having to choose between cutting down on their food shopping or turning down their heating.

The Government has announced some emergency measures - all domestic electricity customers will get £200 off their energy bills from October, and households in Council Tax bands A-D will also receive a £150 Council Tax rebate from April

If you’re still struggling to meet this extra cost, check out the list of extra financial support available put together by Jesse from our Later Life Planning team.


Warm Home Discount

If you receive Pension Credit you could be entitled to an extra £140 - £150 from October.  The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March.  The Warm Homes Discount is administered by individual energy companies and they set their own rules. Not all utility suppliers take part in this scheme so please contact your energy supplier to find out. You may have to make a claim every year during the month of September as the discount does not always rollover automatically. The number of poorer households eligible for the warm homes discount is set to increase by a third.

More information is available on the Government website:

Winter Fuel Payment

You could be entitled to an extra £100-£300 this winter depending on how old you are, who you live with and any benefits you receive. 

If you're over State Pension age - which is currently 66 years old - and receive the State Pension then you should be paid automatically. 

The Warmer Homes Advice Service

If you are over 60 or on a low income, you can access free support from Shine, which has been appointed by the Government to offer• Telephone advice on saving energy and keeping warm at home • Home energy visits with installation of small measures such as draught excluders • Advice and support with energy bill debt and billing disputes with suppliers • Grants of up to £20,000 per household to improve heating and insulation. Grants are means tested and high vulnerability clients prioritised.  • Support with applications for energy bill discounts

Clients can self-refer directly to the Warmer Homes Advice Service and Barnet residents should phone 0300 555 0195 or email

Cold Weather Payments

These are one-off automatic payments for people on pension credit to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.

Support from your energy supplier

It is always worth getting in touch with your energy supplier to see if you can work out a payment plan. And some energy suppliers offer grant to help pay off debts.

Debt advice

Our Later Life Planning team recommends Moneyhelper, a government funded advice hub. For advice about any money issues or debts, phone 0800 138 7777.

For impartial pension advice, phone 0800 011 3797 and there’s plenty of useful info on their website:

Age UK Barnet Winter Home Check - FREE

Our Handyperson team are carrying out free energy MOTs to make sure your home is as energy efficient as possible. We can set heating timers and thermostats, check light bulbs, change winter curtains and assist with draught proofing. Phone Salima on 020 8150 0963 to book an appointment.

Jesse and the dedicated Later Life Planning team are always there for you to guide you through if you’re struggling. We can give you a benefits check to see if you are entitled to extra financial support. Just give them a ring on 020 8203 5040 or email