Skip to content
Older woman with family Later life planning service

Free and confidential information and advice on welfare and benefits, housing or support services as well as how to keep healthy and active.

Growing older doesn’t come with a manual, our service helps older people living in Barnet to manage and plan for the challenges that ageing brings, whilst retaining independence, choice and control in their lives. 

Since 2014, this service has helped an ever growing number of older people in Barnet with accessing services, claiming benefit entitlements and much more. Read about the service's success in its annual report.

How to access the service 

The team is based at Age UK Barnet’s offices but advisers also work out in the community to reach as many people as possible across the borough. The Later Life Planning Service operates an appointments-only service - unfortunately we are unable to provide a drop-in service.

The service usually operates

Monday to Thursday 9.30pm-4.30pm.

Fridays 10am - 3.30pm

Phone number 020 8432 1417

Later Life Planning Service during the coronovirus crisis

The Later Life Planning Service are currently unable to provide a home visiting service to help with form filling.  You may be able to request help from the Department for Work & Pensions.  Please click here for further information. 

During this time the Later Life Planning Team are only able to offer a very reduced telephone advice service between:

10am – 1pm : Monday – Thursday. 

On Fridays, there will be no telephone advice so please leave a message or call Age UK's national helpline on 0800 028 6654


TV licence concessions

After the decision to scrap free TV licences for all people over 75, we have been getting a lot of enquiries about Pension Credit and TV licence concessions. If you’re over 75 and claim Pension Credit then you could still be eligible for a free licence. 

Click here for Age UK's guide to TV licence concessions.

Click here for Age UK's Pension Credit Factsheet - information on TV licence concessions is on page 25.

TV licence scams are becoming increasingly common. Click here for more info from Age UK about how to protect yourself from TV licence scams. 


New three-tier Covid alert system 

The three-tiered system of local Covid-19 Alert Levels in England sets risk areas at medium, high, and very high and the regulations in these areas will be reviewed every few weeks. Those areas undergoing the toughest lockdowns will receive additional support, as the Government will extend the job support scheme and offer a cash grant to businesses forced to close. Local authorities will also be provided with approximately £1bn of support. Click here for the latest info on the three -tier system from the Government website.

Coronavirus financial support

Employee rights during coronavirus crisis - click here

How the government will support people during the coronavirus crisisclick here

Any resident receiving Council Tax Support will be automatically awarded £150 towards their 2020/21 Council Tax account and there is a Crisis Fund for those people facing financial hardship. Self-employed residents will automatically have the Council Tax Support Minimum Income Floor calculation suspended until 30 September 2020.  Click here for all the details and how to apply.

If you have a medical condition that leaves you particularly vulnerable, you may be able to get extra support from the Government. Click here for more information.

Click here for the latest coronavirus information from Age UK.


If you have urgent health problems, telephone 111. This is a 24 hour helpline in England for advice on urgent but non-life-threatening symptoms, including dental related problems.

Flu vaccines - book yours now. Click here for more information.



If you need urgent advice about State Pension or Pension Credit, you can contact:

Telephone: 0800 731 0469
Textphone: 0800 731 0464
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0469 
Welsh language: 0800 731 0453
Welsh language textphone: 0800 731 0456 
Welsh language NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0453

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you need urgent advice about Attendance Allowance, you can contact:

Telephone: 0800 731 0122 
Textphone: 0800 731 0317 
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0122 
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you need urgent advice about Personal Independence Payment, you can contact:

Telephone: 0800 121 4433
Textphone: 0800 121 4493
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433 
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

If you need urgent advice about JSA, ESA or Income Support, you can contact:

Telephone: 0800 169 0310 
Textphone: 0800 169 0314 
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 169 0310 
Welsh language: 0800 328 1744 
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 
Find out about call charges

If you need urgent advice about Universal Credit, you can contact Jobcentre Plus by:

Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
NGT text relay – if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: 18001 then 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges



If you have urgent enquiries about the provision of social care services, whether at home or in a care or nursing home, you can contact the local authority.

If you have safeguarding concerns about someone being abused or neglected, contact the local authority safeguarding team. If the situation is very serious, contact the Police on 999.





If you have an enquiry about homelessness or threatened homelessness, contact Homeless Action in Barnet, Barnet Homes or SHELTER as soon as possible.


Get in touch with us 

Topics we cover:

Our advisers are trained to help you on the following topics.

  • Social care - such as finding a care home or getting some help at home, and how it's funded.
  • Your income - including free benefits checks, help with applying for benefits and pension advice, as well as a personal grant for essential items.
  • Your home - information on staying warm at home, home adapatations and how to prevent falls, how to get help from your gas an electricity provider.
  • Legal issues - we provide information about Wills, Power of Attorney, and how to deal with an estate.

  • Do you need help with your tax?

    Age UK Barnet hosts free tax advice surgeries, provided by the charity TaxHelp for Older People, for people aged over 60 and on low incomes (less than £15,000 a year household income).

    Tax help for older people 

  • Benefit calculator

    Are you claiming all the benefits you are entitled to? There is almost £5 billion in unclaimed benefits by older people. Fnd out if you are one of those missing out.

    Age UK's Benefit Calculator 

Free booklets and online information

Other resources in Barnet

Social Care Connect

Social Care Connect is the London Borough of Barnet's web-based service containing details of all social care services and a range of other community based support in the borough. This includes exercise classes, transport issues and community clubs.

Barnet Care Directory 2020

The Barnet Care Directory is designed to help you and your family make the best choice to meet your needs. It gives up to date information on registered residential and nursing homes and local care agencies along with contacts and information.

Helping Hands

This scheme helps older people (who do not meet FACS eligibility criteria for service but are seen as having low-moderate risk levels) by providing shopping, pension collection, bill payment, banking and prescription collection services.

Advocacy in Barnet

Advocacy in Barnet provides advocacy services under their "50+ Matters" umbrella to older residents in living in the London Borough of Barnet and surrounding areas.

The Barnet Care Directory

The London Care Directory is a guide to support services in London, published by London Care Directories.


Twinings Enterprise

The Twinings Enterprise helps people with mental health issues get back into work. The organisation offers three support programmes in Barnet. .

Inclusion Barnet

Inclusion Barnet uses the skills gained from their experience of disability, including mental health issues and long term conditions, to create better services and more inclusive communities .

The Home Care Directory

The Home Care Directory provides details of homecare providers in and around Barnet. .




We hold the Advice Quality Standard, which provides you with assurance that the we have met certain criteria that demonstrate a commitment to quality


Further information