Skip to content

Our Later Life Planning information and advice service can offer advice on a variety of issues including benefits, grants, housing and money concerns, wills and probate. Please phone 020 8203 5040 or email  The following information, however, may answer a few of your questions.USEFUL INFORMATION AND LINKS

Pension credit

We are encouraging all pensioners who are struggling to make ends meet to put in a claim for Pension Credit – a means-tested, tax-free benefit for pensioners that opens the door to many other potential benefits including:

  • A free TV licence (if also over-75)
  • Help with Council Tax
  • Free NHS dental treatment and help towards the cost of glasses and travel to hospital
  • A Cold Weather Payment of £25 when the temperature is 0°C or below for 7 days in a row
  • Help with rent
  • An extra payment within Pension Credit for carers, worth up to £37.70 a week
  • To make a claim, people should call the Pension Credit claim line on 0800 99 1234 or click here for the website. Our Later Life Planning team can help you through the process if you are finding it difficult.

Warm home discount

You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. Please note that people who are a part of the “Broader Group”, who may be eligible for the Warm Home Discount, need to reapply to their energy supplier every year because the benefit does not roll over automatically.  All details are on the government website, where you will also find the list of participating energy providers. Click here for the link.

Watersure Scheme 

Help with paying water bills for people on benefits who need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because your household has a certain number of school-age children. For more information, click here.

Social tarrifs for people on benefits

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband. They’re delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price. Amid rising living costs, Ofcom is encouraging companies to offer social tariffs to help customers on low incomes. Click here to see your tarrif options.

Food banks in Barnet 

Click here for a list of food banks in Barnet.

TV licence concessions

If you’re over 75 and claim Pension Credit then you could still be eligible for a free licence. 

Click here for Age UK's guide to TV licence concessions.

Click here for Age UK's Pension Credit Factsheet - information on TV licence concessions is on page 25.

TV licence scams are becoming increasingly common. Click here for more info from Age UK about how to protect yourself from TV licence scams. 

Ultra low emission zone (ULEZ) charge exemption

Keepers of vehicles registered in 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicle' tax classes benefit from a grace period where they are exempt from paying the ULEZ charge until 26 October 2025. Please note that disabled people over state pension age whose vehicle does not have 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicle' tax class can apply directly to Transport for London (TFL) for the grace period if they:

  • Are in receipt of Attendance Allowance AND
  • Hold a Blue Badge

See the TFL website for more details here.

Tax problems

Tax Help for Older People is a charity providing free, independent and expert help and advice for older people on lower incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional tax advice. Click here for the charity's website.

Applying for Settled Status

A new charity, called Settled, can offer advice and support to older EU citizens who want to apply for Settled Status - the deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. To read their leaflet which explains more about this issue plus how get in touch with them, click here 

Neighbour disputes

We have had a lot of enquiries recently about neighbour disputes. Click here for an Age UK factsheet on anti-social behaviour.


If you have an enquiry about homelessness or threatened homelessness, contact Homeless Action in BarnetBarnet Homes or Shelter


If you have urgent health problems, telephone 111. This is a 24 hour helpline in England for advice on urgent but non-life-threatening symptoms, including dental related problems.

Flu vaccines - book yours now. Click here for more information.

Want to know more about the Spring booster jab. This useful guide from the UK Health Security Agency may help. Click here to read.


For the latest information about Covid-19 vaccination from Age UK, please click here.
For the latest guidance on the clinically extremely vulnerable -  click here

For the latest info on the coronavirus in British Sign Language click here

How Age UK Barnet can help - click here
Age UK Barnet Covid-19 hub - useful links for shopping, mental health, technology, work, exercise etc. Click here

How the government will support people during the coronavirus crisis click here

Coronavirus financial support

The Furlough Scheme has been extended but when it ends it will be replaced by the Job Support Scheme. Click here for the latest Government information.

Employee rights during coronavirus crisis - click here

How the government will support people during the coronavirus crisis - click here

Any resident receiving Council Tax Support will be automatically awarded £150 towards their 2020/21 Council Tax account and there is a Crisis Fund for those people facing financial hardship. Self-employed residents will automatically have the Council Tax Support Minimum Income Floor calculation suspended until 30 September 2020.  Click here for all the details and how to apply.

If you have a medical condition that leaves you particularly vulnerable, you may be able to get extra support from the Government. Click here for more information.

  • Benefits advice

    Contact details for a range of benefits including state pension, pension credit, universal credit and attendance allowance.

    Benefits info 

  • Social Care

    If you have urgent enquiries about the provision of social care services, whether at home or in a care or nursing home, you can contact the local authority.

    If you have safeguarding concerns about someone being abused or neglected, contact Barnet Council's safeguarding team on 020 8359 2000. If the situation is very serious, contact the Police on 999.

    Safeguarding factsheet 


If you have a website you wish to see added to the list or find that a link below is broken please email Age UK Barnet

Social Care Connect - Barnet Council's one stop shop for adult social care.

Abilitynet - a national charity that can adapt and adjust technology making it easier for disabled adults and children use computers and the internet.

Action on Elder Abuse - a national charity providing information and guidance to older people and anyone concerned that an older person is being abused.

Action Fraud - the UK's national fraud reporting centre. This service is run by the National Fraud Authority - the Government agency that helps to coordinate the fight against fraud in the UK.

Age UK- the national charity and umbrella body encompassing all local Age Concern and Age UK charities.

Alzheimer's Society - this link takes you to the Barnet branch of this national charity for people with Alzehimer's.

Barnet Care Directory - care options for older people in Barnet

Barnet Carers Centre - a charity supporting and advising carers in the London Borough of Barnet.

Barnet Council

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust

Barnet Furniture Centre - a local charity that recycles furniture. Donate your unwanted furniture and/or homewares or buy second hand from them.

BBC WebWise - a useful online guide to using a computer.  Beginners guides, information and advice and how to keep safe online.

Blue Badge Scheme - an important service for people with severe mobility problems that enables badge holders to park close to where they need to go.

Cancer Research UK

Care Quality Commission - the regulatory body which inspects and reports on care services and councils. The Care Quality Commission provide information about care services available in your area. You can get advice about how to decide what the right service is for you, and what to look for when choosing a care service.

Cinnamon Trust, The - a national charity for the elderly, the terminally ill and their pets.

Citizens Advice Bureau - advice on your rights and responsibilities and find Citizens Advice Bureau nearest you.

CommUNITY Barnet - supports, promotes and coordinates an effective voluntary and community sector in the borough of Barnet.

Community Focus - a multi-arts centre based in Barnet that encourages people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to access and participate in the arts.

Dementia Club UK - aims to provide people with Dementia and their carer with information, gentle exercise and fun activities in a social atmosphere with cups of tea and coffee and lovely cakes. Professional speakers will attend the sessions and also a GP and nurse attend most sessions to answer any medical concerns.

Diabetes UK - Barnet voluntary group - a charity for people with diabetes.

Dial-a-Ride - if you're disabled and can't use public transport, try Dial-a-Ride. It's free, door-to-door, and great for getting out and about.

Disability Action in the borough of Barnet (DAdB)- a charity providing accessible services for disabled people living or working in the borough.

Energy Saving Trust- a national organisation providing information and advice on how to improve energy efficiency.

Equality and Human Rights Commission

Farsophone Association in Britain - this organisation supports Iranians and Persian speaking individuals and families.

First Stop - provides information on housing and care options, getting the support older people are entitled to and gives advice on paying for care.

Freedom Pass - provided by your local borough councils to give older and disabled Londoners free travel on almost all public transport in London.

Friend in Need (FIN) - provides a range of services for older people and their carers living in the New and East Barnet areas. They also have a shopping scheme covering all of Barnet.

Funeral Costs Help - personal website and blog set up by an older person that aims to offer impartial advice about arranging funerals and associated costs. Information and advice is also available on the Age UK national website Age UK what to do when someone dies

Get Safe Online - a joint initiative between the Government, law enforcement, leading businesses and the public sector. Their aim is to provide computer users and small businesses with free, independent, user-friendly advice that will allow them to use the internet confidently, safely and securely.

Healthwatch Barnet - Healthwatch Barnet is part of a national network, led by Healthwatch England. It is there to give patients and users of health and social care services a voice locally and nationally. 

Home Care Directory - homecare providers in and around Barnet.

Independent Age - a charity giving information and advice for older people, their families and carers, focusing on social care, welfare benefits and befriending services.

JAMI - The Jewish Association for the Mentally Ill

Jewish Care - this charity operate centres and services within the London Borough of Barnet.

Leisure Services - Barnet has a number of leisure centres across the borough. Concessionary rates are available for those that meet set criteria.

Middlesex Association for the Blind - this charity provides services to blind and partially sighted people in nine London Boroughs, including Barnet.

Mind in Barnet - a charity that gives information on mental health provision in Barnet. It also provides day services, advocacy, befriending, counselling, information and advice services.

NHS Choices - this NHS website aims to gives all the information you need to make choices about your health.

PhonepayPlus is the organisation that regulates phone-paid services in the UK. These are the premium rate goods and services that you can buy by charging the cost to your phone bill and pre-pay account.

Royal Association for Deaf People

Safeguarding adults 

Samaritans North London - confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide - Available 24 hours.

Seniors Discounts - Which? article on 50 plus, 60 plus and senior citizens discount and money saving options

TaxHelp for Older People - a charity providing free tax advice to people over 60 on low incomes (less than £15,000 a year).

Think Jessica - an organisation aiming to raise awareness of the dangers of scam mail and provide support to those who need help.

Winter Fuel Payment - for information and application forms to claim the payment.

Return to top of the page