Later Life Planning Service
- Location: Age UK Barnet
- Price: Free
Please note, this service is not available outside Age UK Barnet - Head Office's catchment area.
Our information and advice service helps older people living in Barnet to manage and plan for the challenges that ageing brings, whilst retaining independence, choice and control in their lives.
Our advisers specialise in giving information and advice to Barnet residents over the age of 55 on everything from welfare benefits, housing, grants and social care to health services and consumers affairs.
The Later Life Planning Service welcomes professional referrals from the local authority and other statutory agencies and other local community and voluntary organisations.
The service works closely with our Dementia Adviser Service, Befriending Service and day opportunities service.
Topics we cover
Our advisers are trained to help you on the following topics.
• Social care - such as finding a care home or getting some help at home, and how it's funded.
• Your income - including free benefits checks, help with applying for benefits and pension advice, as well as a personal grant for essential items (see link below).
• Your home - for instance, information on staying warm at home, home adaptations and how to prevent falls, plus how to get help from your gas an electricity provider.
• Legal issues - we provide information about Wills, Power of Attorney, and how to deal with an estate.
• Helping you to apply for small grant funding for essential items
The Age UK Barnet team is not able to provide:
• Debt advice
• Financial advice
• Immigration advice
• Legal advice
• A wills service
See our Grants section to see if you might be eligible for any of the grants that we award
How to access the service
The Later Life Planning Service are currently unable to provide a home visiting service to help with form filling.
During this time the Later Life Planning Team are only able to offer a very reduced telephone advice service between:
10am – 1pm : Monday – Thursday.
Phone number: 020 8432 1417
On Fridays, there will be no telephone advice so please leave a message or call Age UK's 24-hour national helpline on 0800 678 1602.
Professional referrals to this scheme:
Useful links and organisations
From a list of local food banks to benefits advice and where to go if you're struggling to pay your bills...
Age UK Barnet Dementia Adviser Service
We run a separate advice service for people living with dementia and their families