Proposed Start Date: ASAP
Minimum number of hours per week: 3
Minimum length of commitment we hope for: 6 months or longer
Report to: Digital Inclusion Project Coordinator or Digital Inclusion Outreach Worker
- To provide digital skill training, information and assistance to older residents in Hammersmith & Fulham within our AgeUK H&F Activity centre, private homes, outreach events and community locations.
- To empower an older person to use technology by developing their digital knowledge and confidence to improve their overall wellbeing, maintaining their independence and aiming to reduce isolation.
- To help others understand the benefits of using the internet, demonstrate how to do simple things online and how to get the most out of personal technological devices.
- To provide one-to-one training and hands on support to highlight the positive impact of using digital technology in their daily lives.
Key Task Descriptions:
- Provide digital skill training to clients in the form of one-to-one booked and or drop-in tutorials in the Cybercafé.
- Provide IT sessions and demonstrations on IT related areas such as ‘setting up email accounts’ / ‘how to use a tablet’ / shopping and banking online / Internet searches.
- To promote the AgeUK H&F’s Staying Connected Service within the local area and disseminate IT information to older persons in the borough.
- Explain and demonstrate how to use the internet and technological devices i.e. tablets, smartphones and laptops
- Demonstrate how to use emails and maintain an account.
- To train clients on how to use technology to communicate with friends and family.
- Explore online shopping and demonstrate how to use various services.
- Discuss online banking and paying bills online.
- Explore how to find medical information and/or book GP appointments online
- Show how to research social activities and local services.
- Demonstrate how to use calendars and/or set up helpful reminders
- Explain how to research organisations (like trusted traders, builders, etc) and find out what other people are saying about them
- Demonstrate how to use accessibility features on personal devices.
- Train clients on Internet safety and data protection best practice.
- Record session topics for metric reporting purposes.
- Adhere to safeguarding practices and AgeUK H&F policies.
- Friendly, cheerful and enthusiastic
- Patient and calm
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Flexible approach
- Committed to Equal Opportunities
- To be able to recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality
- A non-judgemental approach
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good IT and digital skills
- Reliability and sense of responsibility
- Good problem-solving skills
- Willingness to work without direct supervision
- An interest & experience in general IT with a good understanding of Microsoft Office, Social Media and online communication platforms
- Ability to use and explain the use of the internet, wi-fi, tablets, smartphones and laptops.
- General knowledge on the benefits of using technology to assist with daily tasks and activities.
Mandatory Training & Development:
• No formal training is required.
• General Induction
• Learn My Way Course
We reimburse your volunteering travel expenses (on proof of receipt).
Lunch is provided if you volunteer for over 4 hours on any given date.
Location: You will be supporting sessions primarily at the Age UK H&F Activity Centre, 105 Greyhound Road, Fulham W6 8NJ. However, in the near future there will be a need to conduct one to one support visits at client’s homes, Age UK H&F Charity Shop (W12 centre), outreach locations and events.
- An opportunity to allow you to use and further develop your skills.
- Free DBS certification and DBS Update Service registration.
- To be a part of a team who are making a positive change with the local community.
- Imparting your time and skills for the benefit of an older person.
- The satisfaction of contributing to the empowerment an older person with digital skills.
To apply please complete an application form
Please return your form by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to: Age UK Hammersmith and Fulham, 105 Greyhound Road, Hammersmith, W6 8NJ