Age UK Hammersmith and Fulham currently supports local older people with face-to-face advice and information. The need for this service is increasing and we are keen to find volunteers to make sure we are reaching the people who need our help to make the most of their life.
What an Information and Advice Volunteer does:
- Meets clients face to face
- Listens to the clients and works out with the client what their problems are
- Supports the client to find solutions to their problems – this may include providing information about other agencies and services, or providing advice. Activity varies depending on the client’s needs, but may include: completing forms, and phoning other organisations on behalf of the client
- Records content of session on Age UK Hammersmith and Fulham’s client database
- Follows up session with appropriate action
- Keeping accurate and timely case records
- Provides case-studies and contributes to outcomes monitoring
Skills, experiences and qualities required:
- Information and advice: some background in information and advice would be beneficial
- Good communication / customer skills: being able to deal with members of the public and professionals in a courteous and professional manner.
- Good verbal and written skills. The ability to digest complex information and communicate it to others in a manner which is easy to understand.
- Team work: ability to work as part of a small and friendly team as well as on your own initiative when needed.
- Computer skills: should have at least basic computer skills, including: ability to use internet for research, Word, basic Excel and e-mail. Training will be provided in use of our database for case recording.
- Reliability, punctuality, trust-worthiness and empathy with the problems that older people face
- Understanding of, and the ability to comply with Age UK Hammersmith and Fulham policies including Equal Opportunities/Diversity, Confidentiality, Data Protection, Health and Safety and Safe-guarding policies and procedures
Hours of work
At this time we are particularly looking for volunteers to support our service delivery on Thursday and Fridays.
What we offer you
- The chance to make a real contribution to Age UK Hammersmith and Fulham’s work.
- The chance to be part of a lively team who will facilitate your development with support and on-going training.
- The opportunity to be involved with an organisation where your own ideas and input will be valued.
- Training sessions to prepare you for your role, which will include how to use the information resources available.
- Opportunity to build experience in areas such as income maximisation, health and social care, housing
- Information about other volunteering opportunities
- Professional references
- Travel & lunch expenses covered
To apply please complete an application form
Please return your form to: Volunteer Co-ordinator, Age UK Hammersmith and Fulham, 105 Greyhound Road, Hammersmith, W6 8NJ or by E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org