Purpose of the role:
This volunteer role is designed to support older people who are unable to get out to do shopping or other essential tasks due to their health or because they are shielding.
Age UK Barnet are aware of many older people who will need support ongoing following the Covid 19 crisis, and many who need assistance unrelated to Covid19.
Volunteers will be asked to make contact with a client by phone and to engage with them to develop a rapport.
As required they are asked to arrange to do shopping for the client, and drop it off with the client observing social distancing and current Government guidelines.
Occasionally clients may also need help with collection prescriptions as well.
Volunteers will do much of their contact by phone and will keep in touch with their clients by phone on as regular a basis as possible.
Support and training will be provided.
What a befriender shopper volunteer might do in this role:
- Talk to a client by phone on a regular basis for a chat and to support
- Purchase and deliver essential shopping and arrange payment
- Collect prescriptions and drop off to the client
- Provide information and signposting about other services that be required
- Feedback to Age UK Barnet after visits about any issues or concerns
Personal qualities most suited to this role:
- Empathy and an understanding of issues facing older people
- Able to shop for a client and deliver shopping to their home
- Patience and sensitivity
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate with those hard of hearing
- A commitment to the role for a period of at least 3 months
Location: Client’s homes in the borough of Barnet. We will match clients and volunteers from the same geographical area where possible.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 2/3 hours per week including travelling time.
What you can expect from us: Age UK Barnet will cover agreed out of pocket expenses for volunteers (e.g. travel costs). We will also insure you for personal and public liability for the time you are volunteering with us providing what you do is risk assessed and agreed. We are happy to provide references for our volunteers.
We accept volunteers from all backgrounds and welcome applications from those with disabilities or health conditions. This volunteering opportunity is subject to a DBS check.
Responsible to: Becky Bayne, Home Support Services Coordinator, Age UK Barnet, Ann Owens Centre, Oak Lane, East Finchley N2 8JT
Tel: 0208 150 0963 Email: Handyperson@ageukbarnet.org.uk