We are looking for volunteers for Finding your Feet - a new service matching volunteers with clients to accompany them to go on short weekly walks, following the long period of shielding due to Covid restrictions.
Many clients have not been able to go out for extended periods of time, and have lost confidence and strength. This project will support them emotionally to go out again, by accompanying them to undertake short weekly walks near to their home, gradually increasing in length as they get more confident.
The volunteers will not physically support the clients but will be there to encourage and empathise with clients. A qualified staff member will undertake an assessment of the client’s walking ability, and confidence, as well as doing a home visit before the walks start.
We expect that each match will last for approximately 6 to 8 weeks initially.
What a walking buddy volunteer might do in this role:
- Meet with a staff member and client to discuss the possible walks the client would like to do, and to understand their capabilities
- To meet weekly (or as often as agreed) with the client at their home, and to accompany them on a short walk as assessed.
- Ensure that the client is comfortable with walking and liaise with the staff team about any queries or concerns.
- Assists with completion of the monitoring and user-involvement forms
Personal qualities most suited to this role:
- A liking for and an empathy with older people
- A reasonable level of fitness to comfortably undertake the walks
- A friendly and cheerful manner
- An ability to keep records and an understanding of the need for confidentiality
- A sense of humour
PPE will need to be worn according to the Government’s current guidance and being mindful of the client’s situation.
At present we would request that volunteers undertake a Covid lateral flow test weekly, though this will be reviewed as the situation changes.
Location: Various venues throughout the borough of Barnet.
How much time is involved? Ideally up to 2 hours a week to support a regular walk.
Training Required: All volunteers will be required to complete a short training course enabling them to support the clients.
Please contact Lisa Robbins, Volunteering Manager on 020 8432 1422 or email email@example.com to discuss the role before sending your application.
Click here for the application form.