Skip to content
Please donate

Sheltered housing and extra-care housing

Sheltered housing is a type of ‘housing with support’, which you can buy or rent. 

What is sheltered housing?

Sheltered housing could suit you if you want to live independently but need a bit more support, or if you want to live in a smaller and easier-to-manage home. Some common features of sheltered housing include:

  • help from a scheme manager (warden), or support staff
  • 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system
  • communal areas, such as gardens or lounges
  • social activities for residents.

Features vary from scheme to scheme. At some schemes you get more support than others. If you’re interested in a particular scheme, make sure you understand what is available and how it is paid for.

Meals, help around the home and personal care services such as help with bathing are not usually provided. However, you can arrange a package of services from the local authority or a private care agency, if this sort of assistance is required: see our website pages on homecare for further information.

How much will I pay for sheltered housing?

The cost of sheltered housing will vary depending on whether you rent or buy, the scheme that you choose, and the area you live in. Some will be more expensive than others.

As well as rent and/or mortgage payments, you have to pay Council Tax, water rates and energy bills and you usually have to pay a regular service charge.

The price of the service charge and what it covers varies from scheme to scheme, but it typically includes contributions towards, communal repairs and cleaning, grounds maintenance, servicing and maintaining any lifts and security systems, and building insurance. It may include charges for support services such as the scheme manager and emergency alarm.

At each scheme, check:

  • how much the service charge is
  • what is included in the service charge
  • if there are any additional services to pay for and how much they cost
  • whether your service charge can be covered by Pension Credit or Housing Benefit.

How do I rent sheltered housing?

Renting from your local council or housing association

Most sheltered housing for rent is provided by councils and housing associations. In most areas, the local council runs a waiting list of people looking for sheltered housing. Many housing associations will fill all their sheltered properties this way.

Renting privately

A small amount of sheltered housing is available to rent privately. Waiting times are likely to be shorter, but rents may be higher and your tenancy is likely to be less secure than if you rented sheltered housing from the council or a housing association.

Find out more about renting accommodation

How do I buy sheltered housing?

Most sheltered housing for sale is from private developers. Sheltered housing schemes will have a management group in charge of the warden, services and maintenance. Unlike care homes, sheltered housing is not inspected or given ratings. However, there are some things you can check:

  • Check that the developer is registered with an accredited body such as the National House Building Council (NHBC). Newer properties built by registered developers are covered by a Sheltered Housing Code.
  • Check if the management group are members of a recognised trade body such as the Association of Retirement Housing Managers (ARHM). They have a code of practice. 

Things to remember when buying sheltered housing:

  • You usually have to pay on-going management fees. Make sure you get a breakdown of exactly how much these are and what they do and don’t include.
  • Most sheltered housing is sold on a leasehold basis. There may be restrictions in the lease on what happens if you want to sell the property or leave it to a relative in your will. Make sure you check these restrictions before you buy.
  • There may also be exit or transfer fees if there is a change of occupancy, for example if a carer comes to live with you, or if you decide to sell. Make sure you ask about any exit fees before you decide to buy.

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 0300 303 44 98


Last updated: May 04 2023

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top