Skip to content
Please donate

Remarrying in later life

If you marry, register a civil partnership or live with someone as a couple, any means-tested benefits you receive, such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or help from the Council Tax Reduction Scheme may be affected. Notify the office that pays your benefits as soon as possible. Your partner’s income is also included as part of the overall assessment. If your benefits are affected, the amount you receive may go up or down, you may no longer be entitled to receive the payment, or you may be newly entitled to benefits. Any changes will depend on your individual circumstances. Speak to the office that pays your benefits for more information. You can also find out what you could be entitled to using our personalised benefits calculator.

If you’re a member of a company pension scheme and you decide to remarry or form a new civil partnership, you may want to change the nominated beneficiary for your pension. This is the person who receives any benefits from the scheme if you die.

If you are receiving any maintenance (for yourself as opposed to any children) from your ex-partner, this may stop when you remarry and it can also happen if you co-habit. Child support will not be affected.

Remarrying or entering a new civil partnership invalidates any existing will you have, but a divorce or civil partnership dissolution does not. You can add a clause to your will to prevent it being cancelled by your remarriage, but it may be advisable to make a new will to reflect your new circumstances.

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 0300 303 44 98


Last updated: May 04 2023

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top