Skip to content
Please donate

How to get help with urgent or one-off expenses

If you’re faced with a cost you’re unable to pay because you’re on a low income, or because you have no money at all for some reason, you may be able to get financial help to cover that cost. What help you can get may depend on your circumstances.

Can I get my benefit paid in advance?

  • You may be able to get an advance payment of your benefit called a Budgeting Loan (or Budgeting Advance if you receive Universal Credit).
  • Alternatively, if you’re waiting for a decision on your benefit claim, you may be able to get a short-term advance.

Budgeting Loans

Budgeting Loans can help you pay for essential items such as furniture, clothing and removal costs. To be able to claim a Budgeting Loan, you or your partner must be receiving one of the following benefits (and have been doing so for the past 6 months):

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance.

You may have different options for repaying your loan, but you’ll need to repay it within 104 weeks. What you owe is usually taken out of your benefit payments until the loan is paid off.

Visit to download a claim form SF500


contact Jobcentre Plus to apply for a budgeting loan

Budgeting Advances (only available if you’re receiving Universal Credit)

Budgeting Advances can help to pay for a range of different expenses such as a one-off item, home repairs, moving costs, or clothes. This is a type of loan and you’ll need to repay it within 12 months. Repayments will be taken from your Universal Credit payments until the advance is paid back. You’ll be told how much your payments will be reduced by.

Contact Jobcentre Plus for more information or to apply for a budgeting advance

Short term advances

If you’re waiting for a decision on your benefit claim, you may be able to get a short-term advance payment to tide you over while you’re waiting for your first benefit payment. You can apply for an advance if you’ve recently applied for:

  • State Pension;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance;
  • Income Support;
  • Employment and Support Allowance, or
  • Carer’s Allowance.

A short term advance is a type of loan and repayments will be taken from your benefit payments until the advance amount is completely paid back. You’ll be told how much your payments will be reduced by.

To apply for a short term advance contact the organisation responsible for the benefit you’re claiming.

For further information on all of the above, see our following factsheet:

The Social Fund, Advances of Benefit and Local Welfare Provision


Discretionary Assistance

There are some circumstances where authorities can offer discretionary assistance. 

The Welsh Goverment have a scheme called the Discretionary Assistance Fund where they can provide Individual Assistance Payments to enable someone to remain living at home independently or an Emergency Assistance Payment for essential costs after an emergency or disaster. Information about the scheme can be found on the Welsh Government's website.

Local councils also operate a scheme called the Discretionary Housing Payment for people who receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit but need extra help with rent our housing costs. These awards are usually time limited and you will need to speak to your local Council to apply. 

Can I get financial help from other charities?

Charities and benevolent funds may be able to help you if you’re unable to get support from elsewhere. You may need to show proof that you weren’t able to get a loan or advance from your benefit or help through government or council schemes.

Grants from charities can range from small amounts for food vouchers to large amounts for buying domestic goods, such as a washing machine or cooker. Others may provide help towards the cost of a wheelchair or housing adaptations.

There are many charities and trusts in the UK. Some may only support particular groups, while others will consider helping anyone. Each charity will have their own eligibility criteria and application process.

Contact Turn2us to find out what certain charities can help with.

The Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need guidebook may be available from your local library

Can I get help to pay funeral expenses?

Funeral Payments can help towards burial or cremation costs and up to £1,000 for other expenses, such as the funeral director’s fees.

You usually need to pay the amount back from the deceased person’s estate.

The eligibility criteria can be complicated:

Visit to download a claim form SF200 or phone the Bereavement Service helpline (0345 606 0265) to make a claim. You must make a claim within 3 months of the funeral

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 0300 303 44 98


Last updated: Apr 04 2024

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top