Skip to content
Please donate

TV licence concessions

If you enjoy watching the television, then you need to make sure you have a valid TV licence.

You’ll need a valid TV licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel (including the BBC), or if you download or watch any BBC programmes using BBC iPlayer – whether that’s live on iPlayer, or watching downloaded content on a viewing device (such as a TV, computer, tablet or mobile phone). 

Can I claim a discount on my TV licence?

There are various TV licence discounts:

  • If you’re at least 75 years old and recieve Pension Credit you can claim a free TV licence. The free TV licence will cover you and anyone else you live with, no matter what age they are.
  • If you’re blind or have a severe sight-impairment, you can claim a 50% discount on your licence. If you live with someone else, the licence will need to be in the name of the person who is blind or sight-impaired to get the discount.
  • If you’re living in a care home or sheltered housing, you can get an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) licence which costs £7.50. You will only need this if you watch TV in your own separate accommodation, not if you only watch TV in common areas such as a residents lounge. Speak to your warden or administrator to find out whether your care home or sheltered housing qualifies for this type of licence.

How do I claim my TV licence discount?

If you’re aged 75 or over and recieve Pension Credit, you need to apply for a free TV licence as it’s not given out automatically. For an application form you can call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6151.

If you’re blind or sight-impaired, contact TV Licensing. Once you’re registered, all your TV licence renewals will be at the concessionary rate. You’ll need to provide:

  • a photocopy of the certificate from your local authority ophthalmologist confirming that you’re blind or sight-impaired
  • your TV licence application form and fee.

If you’re living in a care home or sheltered housing, contact the warden, staff or managing authority where you live who will apply for an ARC licence for you. To qualify you must:

  • be retired and aged 60 or over or
  • disabled.

What if I've already paid for a full TV licence?

If you have already paid the full fee for a TV licence and you think you might be eligible for one of the discounts listed above, then contact TV Licensing who can help you apply for a refund.

Getting a refund

If you live in a care home or sheltered housing, ask the warden, staff or managing authority where you live to help you apply for a refund.

What should I do next?

Talk to TV Licensing

Visit the TV Licensing website for more information

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 0300 303 44 98


Last updated: Jun 07 2023

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top