Pension Credit is an income-related benefit to give you some extra money in retirement. If you’re on a low income or struggling to make ends meet, claiming Pension Credit could help. It comes in two parts and you may be eligible for one or both parts.
How much could I get?
Pension Credit comes in two parts:
Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed minimum level. From April 2019 this will be:
- £167.25 if you’re single
- or £255.25 if you’re a couple.
Savings Credit is extra money for some people who saved some money towards their retirement e.g. in savings or a pension. It’s only available to people who reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016. From April 2019 you could get up to:
- £13.73 extra per week if you’re single
- or £15.35 if you’re a couple.
How could Pension Credit help me?
If you’re eligible for Pension Credit, not only will it give you a bit of extra cash, it could also help you get other benefits too:
- If you get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, it’s unlikely you’ll have to pay Council Tax (unless other people live with you).
- If you get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, you’ll get free NHS dental treatment, and you can claim help towards the cost of glasses and travel to hospital.
- For either type of Pension Credit, you’ll get a Cold Weather Payment of £25 when the temperature is 0°C or below for 7 days in a row.
- If you rent your home, you may get help with your rent through Housing Benefit.
- If you own your home, you may be eligible for help with ground rent, service charges and help with mortgage interest in the form of a loan.
- If you’re a carer, you may get an extra amount known as Carer's Premium, or Carer's Addition if it’s paid with Pension Credit. This is worth up to £36.00 a week.
You have nothing to lose by applying, but potentially a lot to gain, and even if you've previously been turned down, it's always worth making a new claim every year. Benefits rates change every year, as can your finances.
What should I do next?
For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 08000 223 444
Boost your income
Find out which benefits you're eligible to claim.