We use cookies to give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. Read more about how we use cookies and find out how you can change your browser's cookie setting
Skip to content
Please donate

Benefits and Entitlements

Every year, it's estimated that up to £3.5 billion of state benefits in the UK goes unclaimed by older people. Could you be one of the people missing out?

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Find out exactly what you are owed, quickly and easily, using Age UK's benefit calculator.

Help pay for care or bereavement

  • Attendance Allowance

    Attendance Allowance is a benefit to help older people who need extra help to stay independent at home because of an illness or disability.
  • Carer's Allowance

    Carer's Allowance is the main benefit to help carers, and even if you don’t think of yourself as a carer, you may still be able to claim it.
  • Disability Living Allowance

    Disability Living Allowance is a benefit for disabled people, but it’s slowly being replaced by Personal Independence Payment.
  • Personal Independence Payment

    Personal Independence Payment is a benefit for people who may need help because of a long-term illness or disability.
  • Bereavement Support Payment

    If your husband, wife or civil partner has died, you may be able to claim Bereavement Support Payment.

Help boost income

  • Pension Credit

    Pension Credit is an income-related benefit to give you some extra money in retirement.
  • Employment and Support Allowance

    Employment and Support Allowance is a benefit for people who are unable to work due to illness or disability.
  • Universal Credit

    Universal Credit is a new benefit gradually being introduced nationally. It will eventually replace many existing benefits.
  • Jobseeker's Allowance

    Jobseeker’s Allowance is a taxable benefit to support people who are actively looking for work.

Help pay bills

  • Heating benefits

    You might be entitled to Winter Fuel Payment or Cold Weather Payment to help with your heating costs.
  • Housing benefit

    Housing benefit is money to help people on a low income to cover their rent and sometimes other housing costs like service charges.
  • TV licence concessions

    You could be entitled to a concession if you're 75 or over and claim Pension Credit, or are blind or sight-impaired or living in certain accommodation.
  • Council Tax Reduction

    Council Tax Reduction is a benefit to help people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits to pay some of their Council Tax bill.
  • Help with urgent or one-off expenses

    There are different types of financial support available for people on a low income or without money.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top