Physical abuse includes hitting, burning, pushing or kicking someone, misuse of medication and restraint.
Possible indicators of physical abuse
- Any injury not fully explained by the history given.
- Injuries inconsistent with the lifestyle of the adult.
- Bruises and / or welts on face, lips, mouth, torso, arms, back, buttocks, thighs.
- Clusters of injuries forming regular patterns or reflecting the shape of an article.
- Burns, especially on soles, palms or back; from immersion in hot water, friction burns, rope or electric appliance burns.
- Multiple fractures.
- Lacerations or abrasions to mouth, lips, gums, eyes, external genitalia.
- Marks on body, including slap marks, finger marks.
- Injuries at different stages of healing.
- Medication misuse (under or over-medicating).
- Inappropriate use of physical restraint.
- Person showing signs of fear or emotional distress
- The adult who needs care and support telling you they have been hit, slapped or physically mistreated.