Age Cymru is committed to Safeguarding adults from abuse, mistreatment, and neglect, and protecting their right to live in safety.
Abuse is happening to thousands of people in Wales every day. We know that people are suffering in many ways, often at the hands of those they trust and in places where they should feel safe and secure. Abuse takes many forms including, physical, financial, emotion or psychological, sexual and neglect. It can also take the form of coercive and controlling behaviours which is an act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten their victim.
Abuse happens in people’s own homes, in care homes, hospitals, day care and other settings. The vast majority of people have positive relationships with family, informal and formal carers and other professions, however this is not always the case and abuse is most often perpetrated by trusted people and those who have a relationship with the person.
Age Cymru will not tolerate any form of abuse and believes that people should be able to live in an environment which is safe from abuse, mistreatment, and neglect.
In all situations Age Cymru believes that everyone is entitled:
- To privacy
- To be treated with dignity
- To lead an independent life and to be enabled to do so
- To choose how they lead their lives
- To the protection of the law
- To have their rights upheld regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex, and sexual orientation.