We use cookies to give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. Read more about how we use cookies and find out how you can change your browser's cookie setting
Skip to content
Please donate

Changes to the benefit system

You may have heard that some welfare benefits have been changing in the last few years. Find out on this page how these changes might affect you.

The introduction of Universal Credit

Universal Credit is being rolled out nationally and will replace a number of benefits for people of working age - i.e. people younger than State Pension age (you can check what your State Pension age is on the Government website).

You’ll eventually be transferred to Universal Credit if you already claim any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

If you’ve reached State Pension age, you may not be affected unless you are part of a couple and one of you is below this age. From 15 May 2019 the rules are changing so that both members of a couple must reach State Pension age to claim Pension Credit - until then, they will have to make a new claim for Universal Credit. 

Find out more about Universal Credit

Changes to Pension Credit

Here are some of the things that may change with Pension Credit, although it’s not clear when these changes will take place.

  • As Housing Benefit is being abolished, Pension Credit will include a new housing credit to help towards rent. This may not happen until 2023 at the earliest, however.
  • As Child Tax Credit is being abolished, Pension Credit will include additional amounts for dependent children.
  • There may be a new savings limit for Pension Credit. There is currently no savings limit.

Find out more about Pension Credit

Changes to bereavement benefits

Bereavement Support Payment has replaced the old system of bereavement benefits for bereavements happening from 6 April 2017.

You may be entitled to Bereavement Support Payment if:

  • Your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017
  • The deceased person paid National Insurance contributions or died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
  • When they died the surviving partner was under State Pension age.

Find out more about Bereavement Support Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claimants.

Here’s how you could be affected if you currently get DLA:

  • If you were under 65 on 8 April 2013, you'll be reassessed for PIP at some point in the future
  • If you were over 65 on 8 April 2013, you'll continue to receive it for as long as you're eligible.

Find out more about Personal Independence Payment

Find out more about Disability Living Allowance

Changes to Support for Mortgage Interest

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) pays towards the interest on a mortgage or other eligible home improvements. SMI ended as a benefit from 6 April 2018 and has been replaced with a loan. 

Find out more about Support for Mortgage Interest loans

Housing benefit reductions and the ‘bedroom tax’

Housing Benefit is reduced if you're considered to have more bedrooms than you need in your home. This has been called the 'bedroom tax'.

This could affect you if the following apply to you:

  • you’re under State Pension age and,
  • you rent a property from your local authority or a housing association and,
  • you have more bedrooms than you need.


  • you’re a pensioner and have a younger partner, and claim Universal Credit.

Find out more about Housing Benefit

How the benefit cap could affect you

There is a cap on the amount of benefits you can claim if you’re not working. The cap is £20,000 (or £23,000 in London). You may be affected if:

  • you’re under State Pension age; or
  • if you’re over this age, but live with a spouse or partner who is below State Pension age and you or your partner claims Income Support; income-based Jobseeker's Allowance; income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or Universal Credit.

The cap won't apply if you receive any of the following:

Initially the cap reduces Housing Benefit payments, but in future any deduction will be through Universal Credit.

What you should do next

What extra money are you entitled to?

Find more information with our useful guide

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 08000 223 444

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top