Skip to content
Please donate

Housing Benefit

If you’re on a low income and struggling to cover your rent, you could claim Housing Benefit. 

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is money to help people on a low income to cover their rent.

How much money could I get?

Housing Benefit is a means-tested benefit. This means the amount you can get depends on:

How could Housing Benefit help me?

Rent can eat up a big chunk of income each month, especially if you’re a pensioner struggling to pay other living costs. Housing Benefit could help you to meet those costs and save you some worry. 

Am I eligible to claim Housing Benefit?

You could get Housing Benefit if:

  • you pay rent
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • you have savings of less than £16,000

If you get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit your income and savings are not taken into account so you may get your rent paid in full by Housing Benefit.

If you own your home, you won’t be eligible for Housing Benefit, but you could get support with your mortgage interest as part of Pension Credit instead. 

If you're of working age and claiming in an area where Universal Credit has been introduced, you should claim Universal Credit instead.

How can I claim Housing Benefit?

Step one: Find out who you need to contact to claim Housing Benefit:

  • If you're not claiming other benefits, you should apply for Housing Benefit through your local council. You’ll need to request a claim form or some local councils allow you to apply online.
  • If you already get Pension Credit, contact the Pension Service to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for Pension Credit.
  • If you get Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, or Jobseeker’s Allowance, contact Jobcentre Plus to apply for Housing Benefit with your claim for these other benefits.

Step two: You can contact your local Age Cymru or call Age Cymru Advice on 0300 303 44 98 if you need help with the claim forms.

If you’re not claiming other benefits and applying for Housing Benefit through your local council:

Step three: You’ll need to supply supporting evidence to go with your claim, such as proof of identity, and proof of your earnings and capital.

Step four: Keep track of your claim – check with the council that they have everything they need from you. Keep a note of who you talk to and when.

Step five: It should take no longer than 14 days for the council to contact you and let you know their decision. Write to the housing department to complain if it takes longer.

What if my claim is turned down?

If your claim is turned down, ask your local Age Cymru for help or see our page on challenging benefits decisions

What should I do next?

Contact the Pension Service

If you already receive Pension Credit, get in touch with the Pension Service to find out how you could get Housing Benefit. Further information can also be found in our factsheet on Housing Benefit.

What extra money are you entitled to?

For more information call Age Cymru Advice on 0300 303 44 98


Last updated: May 04 2023

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top